The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Coverting to Aerotop !

Supra-Dupra

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! Dont do it. I've chopped cill sections out of hard tops and aero tops, and you wouldnt believe the difference inside the cill itself. The amount of extra steel inside the chassis rails and inner cill on the aerotop is phenomenal. The screen pillars also have an extra layer. My aerotop is a floppy car with the roof off at the best of times. Can only imagine what a large spongy pudding a converted hard top would be. Buy a 6 speed box and convert an aerotop mate. I am! :ecstatic:

Guest Flat4_ire
You don't mind the auto and want an aero...there are good aerotops out there....why don't you just wait for one that you like to come up for sale???
cos he prob couldnt be bothered going to the hassle of tryin to sell his current sup, ya know urself

I'll reiterate that no way hosay. Just cut the roof off??? UH UH. There are hundreds of welds across the bottom of the chassis and still it twists like buggery with the roof off.

Without trying to start a war here, I would be very interested to see where the extra welds and strengthening is on the aerotop chassis.

cos he prob couldnt be bothered going to the hassle of tryin to sell his current sup, ya know urself

Believe me, it's going to be about a billion times more rewarding to do aerotop auto to manual than it is to go hard-top manual to aerotop.

As I said, believe me, I've gone halfway there!

Without trying to start a war here, I would be very interested to see where the extra welds and strengthening is on the aerotop chassis.

You could ask dude but someone locked him up :(

I saw his motor stripped out once in drag strip prep and he pointed out a load of spot welds that weren't on the other hardtop he had stripped out and that was just in the rear seat area.

Two extra plates run all the way through each inner cill from the back of the 'A' pillar to the rear end of each cill, 2mm thick membrane running up each screen pillar and along front roof rail above windscreen, plate thickness along floor under seats is doubled up in two places from front foot well / bulk head all the way to outer rear sub frame mounts, and chassis legs/rails have an extra plate running all the way through.

Many a grazed knuckle chopping these out with a disc cutter!

You don't mind the auto and want an aero...there are good aerotops out there....why don't you just wait for one that you like to come up for sale???

Possibility, but I would'nt consider selling mine :) so it would have to be a second one the same colour insure one switch the plates !! Save on insurance and tax !

I seem to be going against the grain here, but given that Toyotas efforts at strenghtening the chasis are not 100% successful, it might be an interesting project. Take about half a ton of steel, a fully equipped metalwork fabrication shop, a very talented welder and a large truck to put all the money in and you could make it work.

I seem to be going against the grain here, but given that Toyotas efforts at strenghtening the chasis are not 100% successful, it might be an interesting project. Take about half a ton of steel, a fully equipped metalwork fabrication shop, a very talented welder and a large truck to put all the money in and you could make it work.

:rlol: