The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Securing top intercooler hose

Paul -C-

When I decatted I had a lot of problems getting the boost increased due to the top intercooler hose not being secured tightly enough. I eventually got round this by using two clamps on each end. This seemed to work fine for 1.2bar.

But today I decided to replace my Apexi induction kit with the standard airbox and I'm having the same troubles with the top intercooler hose. At first I could only get 1 bar, but after some adjusting I'm now only getting 0.7bar.

So... is there a better way of securing this hose? Do the more expensive clamps make a big difference?

I bought a hard pipe for it, but it turns out its not an exact match, so I dunno yet if I'll be able to get the correct silicone hose to get it to match up.

Most of these hard pipe kits are junk, it should CERTAINLY be the right diameter, same as stock, and it should have a machine rolled bead around the hose ends, to act as a lip to aid pipe retention. look at the stock plastic pipes to see how it SHOULD be done. Personally i advise you continue the good work started by refitting the stock air box, and rto now refit the stock hoses...

God knows how many blown turbo pipes I've been through...

Best way to secure them I've found to be a lot of rubber/metal overlap, and use of two clamps if the hose is slippery on the outside (some silicon is very slippery).

Having a bead as Chris said helps a LOT, as long as you clamp it just after the bead of course!

Mikalor clamps look good and sturdy, but they, too loosen up slowly, so they need retightening every now and then. Always have a 10mm socket wrench nearby.

All of my intercooler hard pipes have beaded edges and I've never blown a hose off unless I fumbled the initial tightening up :thumbs: One jubilee clip per hose end does the job. Make sure they are the flat undersided clips, not the serrated ones or they just carve through your hose in a short time :eek:

-Ian

The pipes that came with my Greddy kit have the bead, but the clamps were really weak and not up to the job. They just chewed themselves up or cut into the silicon when it was tighted, after a couple of blown off pipes I replaced them with B&Q ones - its been perfect since.

I bought the 2 pack of jubilee clips from B&Q, but still no joy.

I tried one of the new clips on each end, 2 clips on each end, then finally 3 clips on each side. During all this the boost was either 0.7 bar or 1 bar. It doesn't wanna go back up to 1.2

Is it possible that I need the Apexi induction kit to get 1.2?