The mkiv Supra Owners Club

2jz-gte cylinder head.

gavin.starr

Gavin,

Would you be willing to part with the scrap head?

Wile has been collecting damaged parts to build an engine we can take to shows and events.

We need a GTE head to finish it off and finding one has been extremely hard.

Please help us out :)

Depending on what spec your car is are you not tempted to got for VVTi? I know that if I needed a new head I'm be leaning towards a VVTi

I was thinking that but i'm not sure what else is required to get it all up and running, i.e does it require a replacement loom over the standard loom in order to run the VVti System or is it all controlled via oil pressures etc... I have no idea as i have never looked into it.

My engine is currently with Paul to be completely rebuilt but he as just informed me today that his machine shop has said my head is scrap. :(

Gavin,

Wile has been collecting damaged parts to build an engine we can take to shows and events.

Ill weigh up all my options first im just trying to get my head around it all at the min, but as far as im concerned if its 100% scrap you can have it.

Ill weigh up all my options first im just trying to get my head around it all at the min, but as far as im concerned if its 100% scrap you can have it.

Of course, only if it is 100% scrap.

Hopefully you get your car sorted soon bud

I was thinking that but i'm not sure what else is required to get it all up and running, i.e does it require a replacement loom over the standard loom in order to run the VVti System or is it all controlled via oil pressures etc... I have no idea as i have never looked into it.

My engine is currently with Paul to be completely rebuilt but he as just informed me today that his machine shop has said my head is scrap. :(

Probably best to ask Paul but I'd assume you just need to run wiring from ECU to the VVTi thingy (sorry no idea what it's actually called), assuming you have a suitable aftermarket ECU.

Gavin,

Just thrown one away last month !!

Had two valves punch through it, amongst other damage lol

Probably best to ask Paul but I'd assume you just need to run wiring from ECU to the VVTi thingy (sorry no idea what it's actually called), assuming you have a suitable aftermarket ECU.

Not that it matters but for future reference, it is a VVTi solenoid and apart from the solenoid and plug and its own loom, OP will require the oil feed line from block to the solenoid itself and banjo bolt.

Why can you not reuse the head? Pardon me but perhaps it is cracked unless severely warped. Is it not repairable if a company had to weld it up in the event that it is cracked and then skim it or something. My brother had a cracked Honda B16A cylinder head around the combustion chambers. They removed the valve seats and welded the head up and then machined it. They then fitted new valve seats and cut them down to the required valve seating angle and it looks all new again. Only time can tell how long it will last.

Your last resort would be to find a complete head as mentioned. Someone in my country was selling a complete one for approximately $500.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.