The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto flex plate and washers

jonny mac

T.T. torque converter fixing holes are larger and spaced further out on the plate and that alone is different enough for the N/A plate to be incompatible, yet there are other odd differences too.

I don't have pics to show it, yet you will find that the OE assembly spot marks are assembled on opposite sides, N/A fitted so you can see it and T.T. fitted so you can't? and the flex-plate "form" is attached to the crank the opposite way around.

A T.T. torque converter is 18-20mm? larger/thicker than N/A, most of this extra length is accommodated by the T.T. box having an 18mm? deeper bell housing and a transmission mount shaped like a boomerang, however, the torque converter is spaced slightly differently too, by reversing the manufacture assembly of the flex-plate and ring gear.

I was caught out by this combination of differences when I fitted my first Hybrid transmission, where I learned that a T.T. f.p. fitted the wrong way around only allowed around 20 degrees of crank movement, I tore it back out, turned it around and in put it all back again without taking to notice where it was catching on what and wasn't fascinated to see why the N/A plate didn't catch, yet I suspect the N/A t.c. bolts have smaller heads and there's a slightly smaller offset with the T.T f.p.

The clue to fitting either of these flex-plates the correct way around is to fit with the ring gear welds on the side that can be seen.

Crank fixing holes and front & rear centre plates are same, yet T.T. plate to crank bolts are stronger and marked "11".

• 1 month later...

i see, thanks for the tips!

reason I need one is I was considering using a 350z gearbox conversion and it requires the stock flex plate to be there for the starter to turn the engine, then has a spacer for the 350z conversion flywheel

however I'm still unsure weather to go down the 350 route or buy a v160 (which will be twice as expensive)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.