The mkiv Supra Owners Club

bit of help with big bhp builds?

Guest JackED30

Guest JackED30

Hi guys,

Thought I'd join up as I have always got the eye for the supras, had a few quick cars before. But I'm looking for something that's around 600bhp+

Now I've done some research on here into models but I'm still a bit lost so thought I'd ask for experienced help.

I'm right in saying the autos are not great for big bhp builds correct? Driveability etc?

Too change a auto too a manual would it be cost effective? Or better of paying extra for a manual?

I know the certain model years are manual cars the newer ones from what I've read.

Twin turbo wouldn't be as good as a big single turbo conversion for big power?

If I buy a standard supra what would a rough cost be for me too get somone else too do a build of around 600bhp?

Sorry too seem so lost! Really confused and dont want too get my hopes up just yet!

Any other advice for a decent cost effective build and help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Jack

600bhp can be achieved on an autobox but it would need to be an uprated autobox, something like a Boostlogic ,Titan, SRD autobox, These can cost from £1500-£3000+. Changing from auto to manual isn't cheap you'll pay around £3500 for a 6spd V160/V161 conversion kit which should include everything you need to convert an auto to a manual. Obviously you'd have to source a clutch that suits your driving. You could also use an R154 gearbox which were used in the MK3 supra, they are a 5spd gearbox but a very strong and can handle 500+bhp. To convert a Twin turbo model into a big single turbo will cost £8-10k depending on new or used parts. It's always advised to shop around and get the best information you can before putting your hand in your pocket. There's a wealth of knowledge on this forum so don't be afraid to ask questions :)

Guest JackED30

Thats great thanks so much for the help.

I'll be better off buying a manual car then for sure, single turbo if possible?

What would I be looking at roughly too do a build on a single turbo manual? Similar too a twin turbo I guess?

Hi guys,

Thought I'd join up as I have always got the eye for the supras, had a few quick cars before. But I'm looking for something that's around 600bhp+

Now I've done some research on here into models but I'm still a bit lost so thought I'd ask for experienced help.

I'm right in saying the autos are not great for big bhp builds correct? Driveability etc?

Too change a auto too a manual would it be cost effective? Or better of paying extra for a manual?

I know the certain model years are manual cars the newer ones from what I've read.

If I buy a standard supra what would a rough cost be for me too get somone else too do a build of around 600bhp?

Sorry too seem so lost! Really confused and dont want too get my hopes up just yet!

Any other advice for a decent cost effective build and help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Jack

Welcome to the club Jack ..... 600BHP you will need a single turbo set up with the 6 speed gearbox, the auto,s are a very good gear box but cannot withstand over 500BHP without stuff ( techinical term there ) going wrong,

To change an Auto to a 6 speed gearbox would cost in excess of 3,500 + if you can get hold of one etc etc so better looking for one that has one already

Twin turbo,s standard and hybred are only good for 325 - 420 BHP in BPU mode might be a tad more depending on the additions ie ECU steel turbines etc etc

After buying a Standard or standardish 6 speed it will cost £10,000+ for a single conversion for 600BHP, could be done cheeper but beware of relailablity if done on the cheap also could be done more expensive depending on how far you want to go ie BIG boost levels what type or ECU electronics / cooling / injectors / exhaust / uprated brakes ( a must ) wheels-tyres and the list goes on :D

There are more people on here that will help that have either done it or had it done for them plus a few good garages that can and are experts at doing the work

Hope this helps

Cheers

-Ian-

Thats great thanks so much for the help.

I'll be better off buying a manual car then for sure, single turbo if possible?

What would I be looking at roughly too do a build on a single turbo manual? Similar too a twin turbo I guess?

If you can find a decent 6spd single turbo then yes, But they don't come up for sale very often on the forum. You'd be better of either buying from the forum because the car will have history and someone will know if the car has been looked after etc. Also its nice to know if the single conversion has been done by a trader like Whifbitz ,SRD etc. Or another option is to use Jurgen@JM Imports, He's a very well respected trader on the forum who imports some beautiful cars fresh from Japan.

Edited by Chris Bailey (see edit history)

All depends on your budget Jack, you can buy a Single thats been already converted probably the cheap way to do it but not knowing whats been done, who has done it etc might be a worry to be honest

Have a look on the for sale section dandan has a beut one for sale ;)

Cheers

-Ian-

Hi guys,

Cheers

Jack

Hi jack,

Like chris said the auto box can be upgraded to a fully built box and is savage with the kick down and pull, there's a few members running them/have ran them.

Going 6speed will cost you around £3600 for the conversion plus then add on labour costs if your not able to do it yourself, I've just converted mine from auto to manual.

In order to go single it will be around £10K mark, famous words are "buy cheap, buy twice" so always try and get new parts if you can. The ecu would be the main thing that will be expensive, but worth it if you go syvecs.

Hope some of that helps mate :thumbs:

Welcome to the club Jack ..... 600BHP you will need a single turbo set up with the 6 speed gearbox, the auto,s are a very good gear box but cannot withstand over 500BHP without stuff ( techinical term there ) going wrong,

To change an Auto to a 6 speed gearbox would cost in excess of 3,500 + if you can get hold of one etc etc so better looking for one that has one already

Twin turbo,s standard and hybred are only good for 325 - 420 BHP in BPU mode might be a tad more depending on the additions ie ECU steel turbines etc etc

After buying a Standard or standardish 6 speed it will cost £10,000+ for a single conversion for 600BHP, could be done cheeper but beware of relailablity if done on the cheap also could be done more expensive depending on how far you want to go ie BIG boost levels what type or ECU electronics / cooling / injectors / exhaust / uprated brakes ( a must ) wheels-tyres and the list goes on :D

There are more people on here that will help that have either done it or had it done for them plus a few good garages that can and are experts at doing the work

Hope this helps

Cheers

-Ian-

The hybrid set up can handle a lot more than 420hp depending on supporting mods bud, I get 468 @ 1.35 bar with 465ftlbs - road fuel and 528 @ 1.5 bar with 540ftlbs - meth mix (30%)

Edited by drift_bear (see edit history)

autobox can handle more, 550 torque

but you dont need to spend 10k + to go single, plenty of people have gone single cheaper without problems

single conversion parts pop up here in the for sale section at good prices, a very good way to keep the costs down

i got my turbo here for a touch under 1k and new too , my ecu was cheap (less than half price)

but while your at it , get the engine out and change the parts like pulleys/tentioner/gaskets/water and oil pump

this can bump the costs up but worth it

Edited by ashbuster (see edit history)

autobox can handle more, 550 torque

but you dont need to spend 10k + to go single, plenty of people have gone single cheaper without problems

single conversion parts pop up here in the for sale section at good prices, a very good way to keep the costs down

i got my turbo here for a touch under 1k and new too , my ecu was cheap (less than half price)

The trouble with going single turbo on the stock autobox is after a short time the heat and torque kills the torque converter and gearbox. My dad has 607bhp and 560lbft running through a stock auto with a Setrab 19 row gearbox cooler and the Syvecs protecting the gearbox. It lasted just over a year which wasn't too bad.

could lower to around 550bhp to be on the safer side untill a new box is fitted or converted to manual.

im still undecided with mine, i dont know if i should go for the manual conversion or stick with a built autobox.

Its the torque and heat you need to worry about. I can vouch for the Boostlogic built auto. Its been superb so far! :thumbs: