The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Madness! Irish Motor Tax

Jellybean

whats the prices in northen ireland? same as uk rates?

Same as uk rates, something stupid like 300 euro for the year as she is over 10 years old!

Rates over here went up again, didn't realize the jump because it is the first time I am taxing her since the increase

I am sure somebody could work it out, (I don't want to ) what it costs me to just sit in the car and turn the engine over ; ha ha :) Something stupid like 20 euro a key turn

A 2013, 3 liter bi-turbo 245ps diesel Audi is only 345 euro for the year

I have a little Mx5 Track car now Damien! Just got a rollcage fitted, collecting her on Sunday

The way things are going over , I am getting pushed towards 2 wheels , Ducati or Harley.

To top it all off, the proposal to SORN your car, you need to physically go to the tax office (no intentions of incorporating via Online) plus they want to charge you 25 euro to SORN your car! Everything about having a decent car here stinks! Stealth taxes left right and Centre, Motorist is always an easy target

What I am thinking, Have the little Mx5 for the Track (Turbo / Supercharge her!) Ducati for a nice day and my 1 liter Polo for getting around. or option 2 is get a 1976 LB2000GT Celica , drop a 1jzgte in her and 52 euro motor tax a year !

I don't know if people who lived within their means over here are the losers in all this mess , I am sure as hell paying for the others who lived the champagne lifestyle on a McDonalds wage!

The way I look at it is a fast car in Ireland (and by fast I mean something even remotely fun to drive at a brisk pace) is a straight-up license loser. It is a rare treat for me to be on any kind of paved surface with a speed limit of more than 50mph! Whats the point in having a road car that can do 3 times that??

Couple that to everything else that the Irish motorist has to put up with on a daily basis and it soon becomes clear that driving in this country is not meant to be a past-time.

The TRD is drop dead gorgeous, no one is ever going to dispute that, but I'd be putting that car into hibernation until it hits 30 and you can drive the bloody thing without forgoing luxuries, like food and shelter! Feck paying for the privilige of sitting on the M50 going nowhere!

Definitely is only hardcore enthusiasts who can justify the price, unless you have a high turnover of disposable income

I will tax her for the summer and review my options end of July

From what I hear they are trying to bring the budget forward, we will see an increase in ownership by the end of the year through current means or further stealth taxes

I heard tgey may Put the motortax contract out for tender, to privatise public motortax compliance, they are using toll cameras too

Well...if you can't justify the expense anymore and looking to move on, I could justify the expense :)

I have first dibbs on this car. It's a beautiful machine and I could guarantee it would be well looked after.

Would I pay that amount in tax, not a chance mate. I have been putting off getting a 997 turbo as the tax would be £475 a year on a £40K car. This in my mind is lunacy, I can't even imagine to Irish costs as they really are "out there".

Not sure that garaging it is the answer but if I had a machine like that I would be loathed to let ot go.

H.

Edited by Havard (see edit history)

I have first dibbs on this car. It's a beautiful machine and I could guarantee it would be well looked after.

Would I pay that amount in tax, not a chance mate. I have been putting off getting a 997 turbo as the tax would be £475 a year on a £40K car. This in my mind is lunacy, I can't even imagine to Irish costs as they really are "out there".

Not sure that garaging it is the answer but if I had a machine like that I would be leathed to let ot go.

H.

I already called dibs :D

That doesn't count..!!

What will be will be. I got righ royally shafted for a blue one with 10K miles in 2009 so I may be a bit bitter.

H.

Sorry to hear :( I would be bitter as well if I had been shafted on a deal for one. The year is perfect match for my requirements to import home, have to find a 93 if I want to take it back due to import restrictions :(

Sorry to hear :( I would be bitter as well if I had been shafted on a deal for one. The year is perfect match for my requirements to import home, have to find a 93 if I want to take it back due to import restrictions :(

What import restirctions?

I thought this car was later than that.

Mine!

No, mine!

Bloody seagulls :D

I have a little Mx5 Track car now Damien! Just got a rollcage fitted, collecting her on Sunday

I know mate I've been following the progress, its an ideal car for Mondello.

Will she be ready for OTD15 on the 10th of May?

I paid for my spot there last week.

Ya tis a bit mad when 3 months costs close to the UKs 12 month rate! So many older cars now cost more to tax than they are worth. I plan on taxing her for 3 months Apr-June or May-July, after that i may review whether i keep it or not. If i decide to sell i can see it going abroad... Might see about going to OTD 15 actually, haven't been on track yet this year.