The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Teach me about facelift headlights....

linconhawk

Hey all,

Sorry to be a dumb pain in the ass !!! Can you people explain to me the differences between my headlights and facelifts....

I have a 1995 NA Import.

Are they actually a different design / shape inside the lenses... ?

Are they exactly the same, but facelifts have a black inside bit... ?

Are they plastic or glass lenses... ?

and what the difference with the UK glass ones... ?

Sorry for all the questions....

I have seen many pics / threads on here and they look totally different, but just recently I have seen some and they look the same as mine....

I also saw somewhere where the guy said he had facelifted them himself, implying, you can just spray the inside bit black or something... ?

Thanks people

Face lift-

-Grey/black inserts with chrome rings

-Only 3 lights no side light,

-Plastic lenses

Pre Facelift

-Silver/chrome inserts

-4 lights inside, the three main projectors + a small sidelight

-Plastic lenses

UK spec

-Silver/ chrome inserts

-Glass lenses

-Different shape lenses too

Also when people 'facelift' the older style ones, they simply paint the inserts but the give away is the small sidelight remains, plus the facelifts have chrome rings around the large projector, something a face-lifted pre facelift light will lack.

Hope this helps

Jake

Edited by ripped_fear (see edit history)

Face lift-

-Grey/black inserts,

-Only 3 lights no side light,

-Plastic lenses

Pre Facelift

-Silver/chrome inserts

-Plastic lenses

UK spec

-Silver/ chrome inserts

-Glass lenses

-Different shape lenses too

hope this helps

Jake

Dam ! Not only did you beat me to it, but you also put more effort in too lol.

UK Headlights; chrome inner housing, built in sidelights, glass lenses, in car height adjustment

Pre-facelift J-spec Headlights, chrome inner housing, built in sidelights, plastic lenses.

http://www.jdm-online.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/f/i/file_96_10.jpg

Facelift Headlights, dark grey inner housing, no sidelights, plastic lensesimage

So is it a straight swap to put facelift lights in a prefacelift car?

Yes they are a straight swap although the facelift headlights do not include the side lights inside so you also need to fit facelift front indicators/sidelights (it's a legal requirement to have working sidelights).

Yes they are a straight swap although the facelift headlights do not include the side lights inside so you also need to fit facelift front indicators/sidelights (it's a legal requirement to have working sidelights).

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/johnVTS/stuff.jpg

Are the indicator looms different Nic and if so do you have a part number thanks.

Are the indicator looms different Nic and if so do you have a part number thanks.

81515-14390 Indicator Harness

If you buy genuine Toyota facelift indicators they include all the bulb holders, but only one side has the wiring harness - just the way they connect up to the wiring loom on the facelift Supra, see pics below - so you would need to buy 1 x harness, the wiring for the sidelights will need splicing into the feed that normally goes to the headlights.

If you buy the non-genuine indicators from Ebay these do not include the bulb holders so you'd need to buy 2 x harnesses. There is a fitment guide here:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?31633-How-To-Fit-facelift-front-indicators&highlight=indicators

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/1026/picture13pv.png

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/3664/p10104140bs.jpg

Edited by Nic (see edit history)