The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Taking the car off the road

Patrick_Devlin

I'm thinking of taking the Supe off the road until after Christmas. I need to save a bit of cash for the house and boring stuff like that and this seems like as good a time as any.

Is there anything I should do before leaving it in the driveway for 4 months?

I've been thinking of getting a cover and checked out the recent threads on here, but am not sure about wheels, fluids etc...

All help appreciated as usual.

:thumbs:

Originally posted by Patrick_Devlin

Scooter, please elaborate on the benefits for me and the car!!!!! :p ;)

ah benefits for you? i hadn't quite thought that far:)

how about that great inner feeling you'd get knowing you've helped another less fortunate than yourself :innocent:

You could blow the tyres up to 60psi to prevent any flat spotting.

Remove the EFI fuse, then if anyone breaks in you'll hear the "cough cough" as the engine won't turn over.

Plus if someone forces the keys off you at gun/knife point you can hand them over but tell them the ECU is fried, and it won't start, that's why it's off the road.

Put the metal fold out chock under the inner side of the rear wheel to make it very hard to tow away.

And the car cover of course.

Keeping your pride and joy fit and healthy off the road sounds just as hard as keeping it running on the road.

I've heard of high maintenance girl friends but this is OTT.

I have a fiat uno 45 (don't laugh) which I bought for £150 at college 8yrs ago and its never had a major problem and very few services. Its parked in my back garden on grass as an 3rd car, incase my 4x4 (everyday car) and soop have problems. Starts every single time without any love or attention and never needs water, oil and very little petrol.

I have a fiat uno 45 (don't laugh) which I bought for £150 at college....

Agreed that perhaps £150 fiat is not worth going to all that trouble over but when you consider that £150 won't even buy 2 decent tyres for a supra I think its worth the extra effort to save any potential problems come the time to recommision the car. :)

Remember the 6 P's:-

Perfect Preparation Prevents P*ss Poor Performance

Chr*st, I sound like a preacher now. :D

Originally posted by Lazarus

Perfect Preparation Prevents P*ss Poor Performance

Where have i heard that before?

..... sounds like something my girlfriend would say regarding foreplay.

:sex:

I only drive my car (weather permitting) on the weekends. The rest of the time its locked away in a garge under dust sheets. I always try and run the engine for 5 minutes at least every other weekend and rotate the tyres.

If you'd rather have it out of sight and out of mind I can recommend a good car storage firm, family business and very professional and secure. They looked after mine when I was working abroad and they offer various options.

If not I'd go with the advice given, i.e. disconnect the battery, handbrake off, EFI relays out, increase tyre pressures, good quality car cover on and once a month get everything up to temp.

Stick it on axle stands and take the wheels off it that way no worries regards the battery comin out at all (very difficult to tow away with no wheels on) and no worries about tyre damage if theres no weight on them. Trickle charge the battery every few weeks by either bunging it back in the car and running it up or with a charger. Fiat uno wont have a problem starting up after weeks of being left there as it probably doesnt even have a clock to run the battery down. My third car is a sierra and the battery on that goes flat in 3 weeks if I don't disconnect the earth on it.

One thing some people have been having problems with is the stock security system when disconnecting the battery.