The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Asap help timing belt supra tt

Super-Dr

Hello guys Girls

bought my Supra TT 4 weeks ago was told the timing belt was last change @ 70 Miles its now done only 94k miles

anyway just doing an inspection to all belts and did notice the timing belt looks scary wtf i said this shouldn't be like this if changed at 70k miles i am i have ordered a new one and going to change asap just wanted your thoughts IE: should i drive Supra to collect timing belt from dealer or just get the bus

thanks all

Andy

Picture 381.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ive bought brand new oem belts and they have had marks like that on the side sent the first one back got another exactly the same fitted 2 like this to my na's in the past no problems , but if in doubt change it :)

what the same as my belt surely not a brand new belt my belt is f****

Ive bought brand new oem belts and they have had marks like that on the side sent the first one back got another exactly the same fitted 2 like this to my na's in the past no problems , but if in doubt change it :)

I had the same problem. Both oem belts I bought had marks in the side. So i fitted it.

Also its worth knowing that the tt engines are non-interferance engines. Even if the belt snaps the engine will be fine. Although if you have any doughts over the age of the belt it will be worth changing.

Looks like that's for a MK3 supra not the MK4. It talks about slackening the AC pump to remove the belt. All MK4's have a tensioner pulley.

There's a good guide on here somewhere with pics etc that i used ;)

Edit :- Here it is http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=65774

Edited by Dr_Doom
added link (see edit history)

I have just looked at a brand new one I have in the garage and it is the same..........It seems to me to be just the outer edge of rubber missing before the first row of fibres (which lets face it give it its strength).

I would probably leave it as is, I know of only one cambelt snap EVER in my decade on this forum and that guy popped a new one on with no harm done. Saying that fitting a new kit won't hurt.......just don't expect it to look any different to this one thats freaking you out!!!

I have just looked at a brand new one I have in the garage and it is the same..........It seems to me to be just the outer edge of rubber missing before the first row of fibres (which lets face it give it its strength).

I would probably leave it as is, I know of only one cambelt snap EVER in my decade on this forum and that guy popped a new one on with no harm done. Saying that fitting a new kit won't hurt.......just don't expect it to look any different to this one thats freaking you out!!!

that sounds interesting thanks

any chance of a picture of the belt would be great to see it would be appreciated