The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rear Brake fluid leak

Tyson

There is a leak from the rear drivers side brakes, don't know if its the caliper or the lines but what kind of prices should I be expecting for either? If its a split hose is it worth upgrading to braided hoses all round ? What make do people recommend ? How much money will a set cost?

Thanks in advance.

The Goodridge hoses appear to be the most popular, stock hoses from Toyota cost a lot more.

You can get them with zinc plated end fittings or stainless steel.

I'm going to get them from this seller on ebay.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/jwracing777/m.html?_nkw=GOODRIDGE+BRAKE+LINE+KIT+TOYOTA+SUPRA+JZA80&_sacat=0&_odkw=&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3911.c0.m270.l1313

The Goodridge hoses appear to be the most popular, stock hoses from Toyota cost a lot more.

You can get them with zinc plated end fittings or stainless steel.

I'm going to get them from this seller on ebay.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/jwracing777/m.html?_nkw=GOODRIDGE+BRAKE+LINE+KIT+TOYOTA+SUPRA+JZA80&_sacat=0&_odkw=&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3911.c0.m270.l1313

So this kit will replace all the rubber hoses right? As I read most of these kits only change the hoses between the hard pipe and the caliper meaning there is still some rubber hoses and you won't get the full effect of the upgraded lines. Or am I talking complete crap ?

So this kit will replace all the rubber hoses right? As I read most of these kits only change the hoses between the hard pipe and the caliper meaning there is still some rubber hoses and you won't get the full effect of the upgraded lines. Or am I talking complete crap ?

There are no other rubber hoses dude;)

Do-luck ones were about £60 for a full set with stainless fittings(a must imo) not a pretty colour(purple kinda) but pedal is a lot firmer, loses a lot of the spongey feel. Also any rubber parts on the car at anything up to 17yrs old will have started to perish/degrade in some way so a worthwhile upgrade. Also while you are working on the brakes have a look at the steel pipes that run under the car surrounded by plastic trim. especially just above the fuel tank, hidden under a small cover held on with a 10mm bolt, takes 5-10mins to remove covers and check. You may be worried/concerned/miffed at what you find.

Do-luck ones were about £60 for a full set with stainless fittings(a must imo) not a pretty colour(purple kinda) but pedal is a lot firmer, loses a lot of the spongey feel. Also any rubber parts on the car at anything up to 17yrs old will have started to perish/degrade in some way so a worthwhile upgrade. Also while you are working on the brakes have a look at the steel pipes that run under the car surrounded by plastic trim. especially just above the fuel tank, hidden under a small cover held on with a 10mm bolt, takes 5-10mins to remove covers and check. You may be worried/concerned/miffed at what you find.

I've just read the stickied thread about the 15 year old rotted hard pipes that live under the cover. It's going up on a lift so will have a look there too !! Thanks for the head up anyway !!

nps, was on my mind as I've had an mot advisory on mine and had a good look over them today :( the only bits that were 100% ok were the bits under said plastic mud/water trap ..... under the other covers they are 90% with only a little white dust/corrosion. The worst parts were as they leave the long plastic cover and start to head up over the subframe....not great but ok to clean and protect now.

good luck

well scrap everything I have said had it up in the air and I didn't know the oil cooler for the diff was on that side and my trusted mechanic (been with for ages, friend of the family) says that it looks more like that but he can't tell yet until he has a better look whether its just a split pipe / seal or something else.

It will almost certainly be a rusted through steel pipe under the cover. They aren't very dear to replace, or you can bypass the diff cooler altogether if you are really on a tight budget. It probably never gets hot enough to work, unless you do track days, and may even be seized up anyway. SOMETHING needs doing ASAP though.

My diff cooler fell to pieces at the end of last year, the pipework was actually ok so i looped it back on itself untill i fit the new cooler.

All the pipe work and cooler comes to a quite a few £'s if you buy the parts from Toyota !!

yes it does !!!!!

Very supprised your cooler is okay, mine was totally scrap and fell apart on removal.

I think its all to do with have the car has been used. The car has been garaged just about all of its life and mostly only taken out on dry weather so it hasn't been subject to much weathering. The cooler itself was in pretty good condition despite its age. I mean it might have already been replaced but I have yet to find a receipt to prove this.

Yes driving in all sorts of crap weather probably killed mine, its not exactly the best place for it either and the plastic cover doesnt stop it getting covered in rd muck.

I don't think Toyota ever planned for them to last this long so stupid covers like this were probably overlooked in the way that they assumed by the time it became a problem the car would be in a scrapyard anyway.