The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newbie, Pre owners Questions :)

Guest TomLayz88

Guest TomLayz88

Hey everyone,

Im Tom, live in Rainham Kent. As all of you, and most definately everyone everywhere, I want to be a part of such a great credit to motoring. The worriesI have with this... are prices of repairs etc, is it real expensive to maintain due to age? Its between a supra and a Focus ST... I know the comparison is a bit lame, but the only thing halting me with this supra purchase is the up keep costs. Please give your valued feedback,

Much appreciated guys!

Tom

It all depends on the Supra you buy and it's mileage. Parts will wear over time just like any car.

As long as it's looked after, it shouldn't cost you loads.

However, should you be a bit lazy, your maintenance costs will rise considerably high. Parts are not cheap in the slightest and with the age of the car, things can get jammed - making it hard to actually fit parts at times.

The thing is, a lot of Supra's are so well looked after (especially ones from this club), you shouldn't come across this problem if you bought from any of us.

You just need to be patient and find the right Supra for your needs.

Guest TomLayz88

Thank you so much for your reply. I generally when spending money wont buy anything with mileage over 50-60k. Because I want to make life of the engine. Im just concerned that if i dont buy now... my chance to buy will surpass... and then i'll never have owned the car i love. However.... i suppose if I were to wait, and get one later on down the line that if needs be the repairs will still be able to be done. Is there any danger of cessation of parts or anything?

Get the supra mate, ive had mine a 11 months, Ive unfortunately sold it now and is going to a new home on saturday. But owning a supra has been like nothing else, the compliments, the engine sound, the looks of the car, they are awesome machine and I have had nothing go wrong with my car apart from needing a new battery so as long as like everyone has said they are looked after, you should have no problems. If it's a car you've always wanted then just get one, as the longer you leave it you may enver get chance to, im definately wanting another supra in a few years, and this time will be going for a TT model.

So to sum up, best car ive ever owned, and probably will stay that way for a long long time....so buy one :p

It depends how much you are looking to spend as that will determine how well looked after a car you can get hold of.

There are a couple of things that happen commonly to the Supra (crank pulley, heater matrix etc.) but it's just inevitable wear. Mine, for example, is 17 years old. It just so happened that both the crank pulley and the heater matrix failed within 3 months of ownership. Otherwise it's all good!

It's worth the expense! :D

As mentioned though, look after it and it'll stay strong. :)

You cant beat driving down town in your Supra holding 3000 revs. The looks and compliments people give you are something else lol. Even had cheers and people trying to run besides the car (during nights out in southend/Chelmsford)

Owning this car really is an experience, id say give it a go and if you dont like it, sell.

The only real costs u have to worry about is petrol, im on 70quid to fill up and ill probably do that in a week and i dont even use the car mon - fri (9-5).

......but its damn worth every penny :)

Hello Tom, welcome to the club.

A lot of factors contribute to your decision, I'll list a few questions.

* What is your budget?

* What model are you after? (NA/TT)

* Will it be a daily driver doing local roads?

* Insurance (Group 20)?

* RWD Vs FWD?

I suggest you come along to our Bluewater Meet on Friday, she South East Events section or do a search on Bluewater. I am happy to discuss more things for you there. You can have a look at my car & I'd be happy to take you for a spin.

Guest TomLayz88

Cheers again for the reply guys. Well when I have eventually made my mind up... things need to be considered...

Firstly, Im 22, so insurance on a TT may rule that out for me. So id say im looking for a N/A Manual, and Id be forced to use it as my commute car... funnily enough Abz, I work in bluewater. Rubbish job, but ive only just returned from playing football on a scholarship in the states. I was thinking of getting a pre facelift ST... and spending 6-7k on a supra as a project. BUT.... the ST's will still be around, and in years to come if i want one... id still be able to get the facelift if wanted. But this is about a supra... in all honesty.... as childish as it is, its films like fast and furious, and seeing one in white... immaculate round here thats made me want one. I just genuinely love them, but to be honest... I would not be able to afford expensive repairs. Hence being slightly jubious, and other words of encouragement towards me saying yes lol. If i go purely supra... I will have about 8 k! Is that any good?

Tom

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TomLayz88

Ok so its been a while and im still pondering. The supras i have seen that i think yeah here we go, are like 20k plus! I didnt realise there was such a variety. Is there anyone in the medway town vecinity that could perhaps come meet me and show me round their TT?

Ok so its been a while and im still pondering. The supras i have seen that i think yeah here we go, are like 20k plus! I didnt realise there was such a variety. Is there anyone in the medway town vecinity that could perhaps come meet me and show me round their TT?

Hi and Welcome,

I cant think of any NA's that cost that much? The prices vary alot depending on upgrades, milage, service history, UK/Jspec, Auto, Manual, TT, NA, Single etc etc.

For the 8k youve quoted and the fact you say you are looking for an NA initially due to insurance id say you'd have enough to buy a decent NA, well looked after, good history, relatively low milage (and possible aerotop if your looking for a topless run in the sun) and still have change for rainy days or cheeky upgrades until you feel you can step up to the Tubbys. :D

Check out the classified on here, the owners cars are well looked after by enthusiats so you wont go fra wrong if you take a fancy to one of theirs.

Good luck with the hunt. :thumbs:

Guest TomLayz88

Hmmm... In all honesty, I just want... a well looked after, decent mileaged white TT manual... chances...? On my budget that is lol. You guys are pretty decent on here by the way! much appreciated!!

Should get one I imagine don't worry about mileage. Mines done 155k (miles) and fit as a fiddle engine wise. Although I have had to replace worn out suspension parts here and there and the stem seals but unless you pay for new the prices are ok for parts. Plenty of beakers selling the common bits. Haven't has my crank pulley turbos or heater matrix go. They seem to go randomly bsome have failures some don't.