The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Na-T conversion, discussion and advice pls!

3LL

Hi guys,

Well having had my NA for 2 years I am thinking about going NA-T later on this autumn, I anicipate a will have around 5k to spend on the car what im looking for is advice, information guidance and what not from some of the guys on here whome have done similar things.

I have never undertaken anything like this before so consider me a noob on the subject. I know there are a few chaps on here that do such conversions so im also hoping perhaps a few of those can give me suggestions and price guides on the work to be undertaken by them?

what i would like is to be able to get ideas on here of the best set up to go for and locate someone experienced to do the work for me.. suggestions anyone? :)

If you're after someone else to do the work for you I think £5k wouldn't be enough... however, I imagine you could squeeze a BPU TT engine and 6-speed gearbox in for about that and have the same power, albeit a little more reliably.

Not sure if that's what you want to hear, but the cold hard facts speak for themselves :)

open to all suggestions gaz, like i say im considering na-t but if the tt route can provide me with similar performance on a similar budget with room for future improvement i would consider that too.. like i say im a completenoob on the subject but have made my mind up its somethign i want to get done one way or the other :)

yeah have a had a little look see about jamie mate but im a total noob at this field with conversions and best combinations for £=bhp outputs, obv i want the best i can get within my budget. so i thought best to ask directly, but im also looking as we speak at several topics pal :)

£5K is not going to be enough, for a good reliable conversion using new quality parts you'd be looking at around twice that amount.

If it was me I would sell the car and buy a TT.

If you want to hold onto the car then I would do a 2JZ-GTE transplant.

Guest Luke Hero

Attero was telling me he knows of people that can do NA - TT labour and parts for 2500, then another 2500 for the gearbox conversion. PM him prehaps, im sure he'll mention something when hes online :)

im after keeping what i have as i know the car and its a good starting point, what sort of power outputs would i be able to achieve in theory with 5k and a tt conversion would you guys think? does keiron still do them ?

its looking from what your all saying that although na-t is good its not cost effective as such?!

also how hard is it gonna be to find a 6 speed box, i dont want to mash up a box that cant handle the input it will be driving!

It's not difficult if you can find someone to source the parts. Parts are going for sale every now and then.

Personally, I'd advise NA-TT as the NA-T can be restricted and very expensive. Plus NA-TT can always be upgraded easily and seems a much more reliable option.

well if i went na-tt conversion i would need something like you say that i can upgrade and improve upon at a later date without starting from scratch.. i would personally, love something around 450 500hp mark that is reliable as you say. if na-t is not the way to go to achieve this perhaps a tt transplant would be a simpler solution. but again, gearbox's i would not be to confident that my na autobox would be up to that sort of output but does the 5spd box cope ok with that sort of output or would i have to hunt for an elusive 6 speed box?

The 5spd (W58) gearbox will handle stock TT outputs (approx 330bhp).

If you are looking for more, then expect to upgrade your gearbox to the getrag 6spd.

Overall you are looking at costs of between £5k-6k for a full TT conversion including 6spd gearbox. Then you can start building on that to get your BPU/BPU+ build.

I'm not sure how well the automatic transmissions cope and what you can do to upgrade them if you can.