The mkiv Supra Owners Club

uk brake convertion on my na

northeast_supra

I`m about to get a uk brake set for my NA (front and back) but i`ve had a look at the what wheels for uk brakes thread and have noticed i can get away with my wheels being 17x8 on the front but i've noticed the smallest wheels on the back is 17x9.5 and mine are 17x9 is there anything i can do to make them fit other than buy another set of alloys? or is it worth just leaving the rear stocks and having 4pots upfront? (now everyone can make fun after i sold my work miester 18"s :p ) :blink:

Forgive me. as i find these things a little confuseing.

But from what i understand of it, is it not the offset that would be more important when trying to work out if uk brakes fit under the wheel?

Although apparently the spoke design also plays a part. Simply getting wider weels might not cure the problem. There are plenty of wide 18" wheels that dont fit.

Forgive me. as i find these things a little confuseing.

But from what i understand of it, is it not the offset that would be more important when trying to work out if uk brakes fit under the wheel?

Although apparently the spoke design also plays a part. Simply getting wider weels might not cure the problem. There are plenty of wide 18" wheels that dont fit.

i was thinking about the offsets aswell (although dont know a great deal about it) the alloys i have on at the moment dont have a deep dish.. well more of a little lip to be honest i think it would be a good mod if i dont have to change my alloys but if it does come to that might just get a new set of grooved and drilled disks front and rear with mintex pads :search:

The offset is the problem, the width of the wheel is not the problem as such.

See if there is a member close to you that will let you test fit your wheel over there UK brakes.

Other than that you have to try it and see.

Also with 17's, the outside edge of the brake caliper will be very close to the rim, so if its a thick or curved rim you might have a problem there as well

To give you an idea, mine were 18' and very close, I was very lucky

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=156527

Edited by DodgyRog (see edit history)

The problem is that the larger 4 pot front brake calipers stick out a lot further than the smaller 2 pot calipers, this can cause clearance issues between the front face of the caliper and the back face of the spokes. The size of wheel needed to clear the caliper will vary depending on the design of the wheel, thickness of the spokes, shape of the spokes, width of the wheel and offset.

Although the 2 pot rear calipers are a little wider than the smaller 1pot rears, it tends to be the fronts that are the main issues.

As Rog suggested above, see if you can test fit your wheels on someone else's car with the larger brakes fitted.

recommendations for discs, pads and lines?

My choice would be stock OEM Toyota Discs, TRD black pads, Goodridge brake lines, TRD brake fluid and either a Cusco brake master cylinder brace or Carbing Tower bar with built in BMC brace.

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/7042/attachmentphpib1.jpg

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/2775/attachment1phpdh1.jpg