The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Shake after hitting a bump

Spike3.0

Hi guys,

I've noticed that my front drivers side wheel shakes after hitting a bump.

Its more noticable when turning, for example on a large roundabout. But also doe's it on straights.

I've just had all the alloys balanced and they are fine, wondering if this could be some sort of suspension, ball joint problem...

I'm no mechanic, so I'm hoping someone could narrow it down before a garage trys to rip me off.

Thanks Andy

How hard a hit was it ?

Have you tried checking the damping on that corner incase youve blown a shock !

How would you check that?

It seems to move ok when driving across normal road condtions.

It's only when hitting a pothole or manhole cover etc, that it feels like it shakes/wobbles for a moment on the drivers front wheel.

Doesn't matter what speed I do either.

I'm off Monday so Il nip down a garage, just wanted to check the potential faults first.

Cheers for the replys

Its called a bounce test, basically push down on the wing directly above the wheel, if the damper was blown then the car would bounce up and down several times because the damper wasnt working.

If it is working then the bounce stops very quickly, all dependant on what suspension you have fitted as some are very hard and wont move even with all your weight on it.

Becarefull though not to damage the wing ;)