The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA Track Car Mods

jassi_hayre

Evening all,

Went out for my first track day today but only as a passenger:(

at Oulton Park. However, I did enjoy the experience and as per an earlier post would like to turn my 95 J-Spec NA into a track car.

I'd like some advice on what modifications and checks to make before taking the car out on track hopefully in Spring 09.

So far I have -

A. Upgraded front calipers to UK Spec and had steel braided lines fitted.

B. I've ordered some UK spec Chris Wilson fast road pads for front and rears.

Coming upgrades -

1. I'm going to be replacing all the Brake disks with new OEM as they are pretty low at present but not sure if they are best choice.

2. I'm looking to replace the rear calipers to UK Spec

3. I'm going to change the alloys to stock or similar 17" (too expensive to race in the 19" alloys I have). I'm not sure what tyres to use though?

4. I'm also going to strip the car of some weight. Items to go will include - All interior and boot trim, rear seat, stereo equipment, AC equipment, carpets and roof lining.

Is there anything else I can remove without requiring mods to make car run or go OTT?

It would be great to get some advice from some of you guys who have already ventured down the NA track car route.

TIA

Jas

Losing weight will be the key.

Brakes, suspension, set of stock 16's or 17's with some sticky rubber will also make a huge difference. Also reducing the unsprung mass (lightweight wheels, floating discs) are apparently very important though I have no expereince of this. A good track setup geo too.

A proper LSD will help no end - cusco, TRD or OS Giken (if you're loaded :D )

I was just about to add another post to ask if a 95 JSpec NA would have a LSD. It take it from Homers reply that they dont?

Which one would you go for and how much would it cost?

As far as I'm aware all of the pre-6spd NA's came with the open diff which is pretty hopeless on the track. You can check this on your VIN plate next to Axle Code

Personally I'd go for the TRD as (well until the £/yen issue) they are good value for money.

Im in the process of this to (can I join the club? :D)

Im looking to get some 18" wheels that I can use for daily use and also on the track. I don't like 16's or 17's, just doesn't suit the Supra IMO. My 19's are ok on corners but racing my NA with another NA which had 17's it started creep forward by a few feet :(

I'll take a look at VIN in Morning.

I was thinking of stripping it completely. The guy I went to track day with has a completely stripped out 325 so far that the speedo guage pod is held in place by tie strings on a roll cage bar.

However on a shit day like today the windows kept steaming up and it was F'ing freezing whilst we had to wait for track lane to open.

So I'll keep the drivers side of the dash, heating bits and front seats and ditch everything else.

They also scraped / sanded all the sound deadening out but I cant see the point as the supra doesnt appear to have a lot anyway.

From the engine compartment other than AC bits not sure what else can be done without.

In the boot the boot trim, carpet and foam bits will go but again not sure what else can be done without.

Do any of you have any pictures of stripped out cars?

Thanks

Jas

Will you just be doing track days with this car jassi? How about the toyota sprint series? ;)

There's a few pictures of mine in my garage, no internal shots though (I can take some tomorrow). Due to the new rules of the sprint series I need to leave my dash intact, centre console, door cards and roof lining (so I understand at least).

I've removed the carpet plus everything from behind the front seats. Aircon will be going, ABS will probably follow, sound deadening will come out, and I'm looking at some way of lowering the weight of the heating system (mine is broken, so might as well). I'm intending to move the battery and washer bottle to the boot too.

Fitted an uprated SPEC clutch, CW fast road pads, braided lines, DOT5.1 brake fluid, stock 17s, stock airbox, stock bodykit.

Since mine already has the Torsen LSD, and the yellow toyota-bilstein shocks I won't be touching those anytime soon (but you might need to look at those areas if you have something else). The jspec brakes haven't let me down yet so I'm sticking with them, not going to add weight unless it's necessary.

Other than some slightly more supportive seats and a set of Toyo 888s, I don't know what else can be done without splashing out lots of cash!

....a simple example is if you parked your car half on a wet grass verge when you went to pull away its very likely the rear wheel on the grass would wheel spin.......

in a non lsd car you'll be relying on the bit of traction you have on the grass to eventually allow you to get off it.....

.....with a LSD when the grass wheel spins the diff will apply some amount of power to the other wheel allowing the power to go to the wheel that has more traction (key thing) and you'll find it easier to move off.

....a simple example is if you parked your car half on a wet grass verge when you went to pull away its very likely the rear wheel on the grass would wheel spin.......

in a non lsd car you'll be relying on the bit of traction you have on the grass to eventually allow you to get off it.....

.....with a LSD when the grass wheel spins the diff will apply some amount of power to the other wheel allowing the power to go to the wheel that has more traction (key thing) and you'll find it easier to move off.

Ahh i see now...thank you very much & thank you for using a 'simple example' for me! :)

Yeah - looks like I have a LSD too.

Looks like Dazzi beat me to stripping out (I needto get another daily driver first).

Does the sprint series only take place in Teeside? I'm not sure about doing anything other than track days at present as they seem to require least preparation and best value for money. I'm moving to a village outside Bedford soon so Bedford Autodrome will be in easy reach.

Oulton park is a good circuit but due to slippery conditions everyone (including experienced drivers) was finding Druids (think thats what its called) corner a handfull.

When they opened the track we had six restarts in the first two hours starts due people ending up in gravel pit at that corner.

If Bedford Autodrome is your local track be sure to have addressed silencing the car properly!!! Tanabe Medallion Touring should be a safe choice. Stiffer springs and dampers, TRD anti roll bars, Motul RBF600 brake fluid, a big (23 row minimum) oil cooler, and when you get up to speed, my race pads, although the fast road will do for now, so don't worry about the pads ;) , and you should be fine. Spending money on decent track tyres and a suitable geo set up will find literally seconds a lap. Michelin Pilot Sport Cups are the best, then Pirelli P-Zero Corsas, then struggling behind are the rather awful Toyo 888's.