PDA

View Full Version : 1/4 mile Drag times and Speeds



Sumo Power
22-01-04, 16:05
Hi all.

I know there is another thread about this as I searched and found it however it goes off the rails a bit and is confusing/ dont know if the times are upto date.

What is the fastest Supra in the UK for :-

Top Speed
1/4 Mile
0-60mph


Also, who has the most power dyno proven and how much power is it at the wheels?

Would like to know as we will now be building a Sumo Supra for this year and this info would be interesting to see.

We have neglected Supra's for too long even though we cater for them extensively ( due to producing the R34 GTR ), this year it will change, hope to meet a few of you guys this year

Roll on Santa Pod:innocent:

Bobbeh
22-01-04, 16:14
I'm gonna stick my neck out and say Leon Greens has both Top Speed (186mph @ TOTB) and 1/4 mile at 11.0* secs?

supra dan
22-01-04, 16:46
nice to see you here, if you build a supra as good as your GTR i think everyone here will be well pleased:thumbs:

Paul Laing
22-01-04, 17:02
Can't wait to see the new car from Sumo, what will it look like? Which kit etc will be going on it and how much bhp are you planning on getting?

Paul

Bobbeh
22-01-04, 17:06
Paul, DO LUCK :D

Thorin
22-01-04, 17:09
Good to have you aboard Dirky, I remember you commenting fondly on the Supra you used to have in a thread over on the GTR board. Stood out as it made a change that it was a skyline owner talking about Supra's without slagging them off! ;)

Look forward to seeing the new demo car. Have to say we seriously need drag radials/slicks to get some decent traction, any chance of Sumo selling em? ;)

Sumo Power
22-01-04, 17:55
Hi,

Yes, I have lots of respect for the Supra, sounds cheesy coming on here and saying so but I think there is a thread somewhere on the GTR forum where I say the same thing, I had a TT JZA80 about 4+ years ago and I can honestly say that it was the best car I have ever owned, it flew, it looked nice and it was reliable. The only things I ever bought for it were rear tyres and service items, the most confortable thing to drive long distance thats for sure. Obviously its not a GTR and they shouldnt be compared, both are different in their own right and for thier own reasons.

Drag Radials, we do sell them my friend, even though no one had ever seen them on my GTR, I have 15'' drag slicks for my R34. Never used them, didnt need to although it is a shame when I consider the time and research I had to do to source them, not forgetting the money they cost, not cheap:(

Basics for our Supra ( as soon as I find one ) will be HKS and Do-Luck ;)

Its going to be much fun this year if we can act quickly to purchase a Supra.

Faye
22-01-04, 18:01
Originally posted by Bobbeh
I'm gonna stick my neck out and say Leon Greens has both Top Speed (186mph @ TOTB) and 1/4 mile at 11.0* secs?

Hasn't Christian Doran managed 187?

Miguel
22-01-04, 18:04
Stop talking about my supe Andy. Nice to see you on here and looking forward to seeing the supe when its done .Bout time and all:thumbs:

Thorin
22-01-04, 18:05
I believe he did, was it over 1.25 miles though? I'm not sure.

Gaz Walker
22-01-04, 18:15
Andy,

I am intrigued to know who will be building your Supra's engine - will you be going to Gary @ GT ART to hone his stills on the 2JZ or taking it to someone who knows a thing or 2 already, like Leon?

Gaz.

Faye
22-01-04, 18:17
Originally posted by Thorin
I believe he did, was it over 1.25 miles though? I'm not sure.

It was at Woodbridge wasn't it, I think thats 1.25 miles

Bobbeh
22-01-04, 18:42
Originally posted by Faye
Hasn't Christian Doran managed 187?

Yup I think you're right :)

Paul Whiffin's hit 185 this year.

Thorin
22-01-04, 18:51
Originally posted by Sumo Power
Drag Radials, we do sell them my friend, even though no one had ever seen them on my GTR, I have 15'' drag slicks for my R34. Never used them, didnt need to although it is a shame when I consider the time and research I had to do to source them, not forgetting the money they cost, not cheap:(

Just out of interest how much we talking for some 275/17/40 size? What make?

Sumo Power
22-01-04, 19:54
Questions questions!

Mig, how are you, you still got it have you? If it were 6 Speed I would be round like a shot to buy it back, Need a manual one :(

Tyres, those sizes dont mean anything when talking about drag radials, they go in inches of rolling diameter etc, you would have to get me to look into it further for you, it depends on various measurements on the car also, ie ride height etc, all these things are important due to the changes in shape the tyres have under load etc, tyre costs as an estimation would be around 300 per tyre, the special wheels required would be around 450 per rim, if this cost is acceptable to you, lets get you some ordered :)

dude
22-01-04, 20:06
Originally posted by Thorin
Just out of interest how much we talking for some 275/17/40 size? What make?

I can get you BF Goodrich Drag Radials in the correct size to fit on 17" supra rear wheels , i have some ready to go and will be hopefully roadtesting them soon before fitting the single and the NOS, They were mid 400 roughly !!

Dude

Thorin
22-01-04, 20:54
Dirky yeah I knew slicks were different sizings but the drag radials I've seen used in the US (BFG, Nitto, etc.) used normal sizings. I was just curious, I can't afford shit right now.

Dude which ones, Comp T/A's? mid 400 each or for the pair?

dude
22-01-04, 20:59
No Drag radials , street legal but not a lot of tread , quick warming and middle softness so only need a short burnout (you do have a line lock ???) and that was per pair , if we can sell over 5 pairs the price comes down a lot i think it was 350 ish , i'll report on traction very soon as im off to the pod on a testing mission !!!!;)

Dude:flame Dev

Thorin
22-01-04, 21:07
Comp T/A's are drag radials dude http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgapp/catalog/tires/comptadragradial.jsp

Miguel
22-01-04, 21:38
Yup still got it :D Got to stick with the auto as you know (meant to be quicker in auto on the 1/4 anyhows, Well all the boys in the states are running 9's on autos.) Anyways why are you asking if i still got it ive been bagering you for parts for lomg enough....he he:conf:

Gaz Walker
22-01-04, 21:42
Originally posted by migster
Yup still got it :D Got to stick with the auto as you know (meant to be quicker in auto on the 1/4 anyhows, Well all the boys in the states are running 9's on autos.) Anyways why are you asking if i still got it ive been bagering you for parts for lomg enough....he he:conf:

Hey Mig,

Some of em are running 7s ;)

Gaz.

Bobbeh
22-01-04, 21:44
But they aint using the MKIV auto box... but that 3 speed thing right?

MONKEYmark
22-01-04, 21:44
welcome to supra board, the drag times get updated when people get new times. wont be long before it all starts up again and we see some better times. leons seems to be the fastest. not many big power cars like there is with skylines.

the BFG seem to get good write ups and they say they the grippiest but wear out fast. did not know but there is 2 types

BFGoodrich g-Force T/A Drag Radial
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/bfg/bf_gforce_drag.jpg


BFGoodrich Comp T/A Drag Radial
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/bfg/bf_comp_ta_drag_radial.jpg

been quoted $160 per tyre and $159 for shipping each tyre GULP
thats for 275x40x17

drag wheels they use are Bogart Racing Wheels in 16x10.5 $298 per rim or some use CCW rims

dude
22-01-04, 21:46
Originally posted by Thorin
Comp T/A's are drag radials dude http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgapp/catalog/tires/comptadragradial.jsp

Thought you meant the BFG road tyre type thing dude !!!!

Dude:flame Dev

dude
22-01-04, 21:48
Originally posted by Bobbeh
But they aint using the MKIV auto box... but that 3 speed thing right?

Street cars are running low 9's on the toyota box bobbeh , bit slower for the 6 speeds though !!!:eek:

Dude:flame Dev

Bobbeh
22-01-04, 21:50
Err I dont think so. I have vids of 9 sec passes in 6 speeds thank you :) I've had them for years.

dude
22-01-04, 21:53
Originally posted by Bobbeh
Err I dont think so. I have vids of 9 sec passes in 6 speeds thank you :) I've had them for years.

Sorry dude marvel at the slowness of the higher speced manuals here then look at the ET's of the auto's !!!!;)
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/ShowVehicleInfo.asp?ShowModel=1&ModelCd=SUP4


Dude:flame Dev

Bobbeh
22-01-04, 21:58
Bad idea showing me a list of all lardy US specs there and trying to point out they're quick :sly:

Check this one out..

http://www.turboimports.com/swst88supra.html

Thank you and goodnight :)

Justin
22-01-04, 22:03
Originally posted by Sumo Power
Hi all.

I know there is another thread about this as I searched and found it however it goes off the rails a bit and is confusing/ dont know if the times are upto date.

What is the fastest Supra in the UK for :-

Top Speed
1/4 Mile
0-60mph


Also, who has the most power dyno proven and how much power is it at the wheels?

Would like to know as we will now be building a Sumo Supra for this year and this info would be interesting to see.



We have neglected Supra's for too long even though we cater for them extensively ( due to producing the R34 GTR ), this year it will change, hope to meet a few of you guys this year

Roll on Santa Pod:innocent:

Very exciting news Andy.

You can use mine to build onto if you like:) Don't mind wearing Sumo stickers if it goes like stink :)

Gaz Walker
22-01-04, 22:04
and may I add:

8.54@168 Nero Titan Motorsports Now on a glide
8.9@163 on the stock 6 speed

9.57@150 Ara Arslanian Bullish Racing Videos here 6 speed

* 9.78@155 Veilside of Japan Sequential on Drag Radials

9.81@154 SW Turboimports/Performance Motorsports 9.81 Video 6 Speed/Full Weight Street Car!!!

9.96@145 Matt Miller MSP 6 Speed/No Nitrous/Full Weight Street car!!!

:innocent:

From:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=110710

Bobbeh
22-01-04, 22:07
Gaz you have to remember, its only J-spec autos that are the REAL quick ones ;)

MONKEYmark
22-01-04, 22:11
bloody hell 13.205@112mph with a t78 6speed supra

Gaz Walker
22-01-04, 22:13
Originally posted by Bobbeh
Gaz you have to remember, its only J-spec autos that are the REAL quick ones ;)

I know, thats what I have :eek: lol

Oops, sorry ;)

Gaz.

Thorin
22-01-04, 22:24
Originally posted by MONKEYmark
bloody hell 13.205@112mph with a t78 6speed supra

Nice. My car is officially faster than a T78 Supra. Would love to try some drag radials and try get into the high 11's like the yanks.

dude
22-01-04, 22:47
Quote all you want guys and go build your 6 speeds and we'll see how fast you can run the 1/4 , but do take into account a lot of these cars are driven by professional drivers , you will NEVER get a 6 speed to run the 1/4 as fast as an auto and remain street driveable !!!!!!

Bobbeh yup your right there, as soon as the oll ceramics come off the differences get a lot less and we will allmost have the same cars , hell maybe we can become blood brothers or something ;) i'll even wait for you at the end of the strip :thumbs:

Meanwhile any of you stick pushing faggots want a wager just let me know :D

go back to the HP freaks site and look at the times 70% of the cars are 6 speeds and the autos are all consitantly faster mod for mod !!!!!:cool:

dude:flame Dev

MONKEYmark
22-01-04, 23:01
sounds like the fun is about to start a fresh year and lots of new cars. dont forget no excuses like

my ashtray was full
i missed a gear
i was tuning radio
i was making a coffee on start line waiting for turbos to spool up :)

Bobbeh
22-01-04, 23:28
Dude I wanna see your car set records.. I dotn care if its J or UK spec, I wanna see Supras run some good times!

Miguel
22-01-04, 23:28
Gaz stop quoting times like that ....Im dreaming of getting near the tens let alone 9's or under.Its making my wallet cry just thinking about it :looney: Ill have to get the supe to move first its sat on my drive for a year ...oh well keep saving:sly:

ohh im wiv u there bobbeh....:thumbs:

Matt B
22-01-04, 23:37
Welcome aboard Andy,
That's great news about you guys building a Soop. :)
Can't wait to see the end result....
By the way, I always wanted to ask where you had the airbrushing done on your Cam Cover on the R34?
Looks the nutz IMO...:D

skylinelee
23-01-04, 02:04
hehe
orite andy
a gtr man showing the uk supra boys how to build a fast car........ joke.........no crying boys:D

lee

dandan
23-01-04, 07:23
****
9.81@154 SW Turboimports/Performance Motorsports 9.81 Video 6 Speed/Full Weight Street Car!!!

****

Bloody hell, that's quick.

Andy, I look forward to see what you come up with to try to better these US times. Glad you are doing it with a manual too.

Good luck

Dan

Sumo Power
23-01-04, 10:20
Hi all.

So I guess that Leon's car is the fastest/quickest over here then, by the way, a T78 turbo is a 700bhp turbo, if you have terminal speeds of 110-115mph, you dont have 700bhp, ie the T78 car is not running full boost/power. With 700bhp would expect terminals of 130ish regardless of initial traction at the line.

Speed is horsepower
ET is the setup of the car

The drag strip is the lie detector, if you have the power, your terminal speeds will show this in your speed.

Anyone going to Santa Pod this Sunday, first meeting of the year, if the weather is good, I will be there.

By the way, you guys know that we have a two wheel drive dyno dynamics rolling road down here dont you? Rated to 800 RWHP. ;) Its available, no wheelspin.

Maybe see some of you on Sunday, I will probably be in either our Spoon Civic or my Stagea.

Terry S
23-01-04, 19:04
Welcome Andy.

Guys, you know I love the 6 speed, but the simply fact is a built auto is quicker over the 1/4. Put one on a circuit & it's a very different story.

Justin
23-01-04, 19:11
Originally posted by skylinelee
hehe
orite andy
a gtr man showing the uk supra boys how to build a fast car........ joke.........no crying boys:D

lee

:D

Sumo Power
26-01-04, 10:51
Originally posted by Matt B
Welcome aboard Andy,
That's great news about you guys building a Soop. :)
Can't wait to see the end result....
By the way, I always wanted to ask where you had the airbrushing done on your Cam Cover on the R34?
Looks the nutz IMO...:D

Sorry I forgot to reply to your question.

The Cam covers were done by a company I contacted after the Autosport show last year, to be honest I dont want to give thier details here, they did a great job however they almost doubled the price halfway through the job when they found out what car they were for, ie Skyline. I would rather not recommend them purely for this reason. If you check the net, just look around for custom airbrush companies, there are loads, mostly for bikers etc building custom bikes. Sorry to be unhelpful with this info but wouldnt want anyone else to get the same treatment.