The mkiv Supra Owners Club

By passing the turbos on a TT Sup

Guest joph

Hi Guys/Girls,

Probably a bit of a naive question because I havent brought a Supra TT yet, so I dont mind getting hammered for it as long as I learn :0)

Do you have a feature on a Supra Twin Turbo where by you can bypass the turbos?

Joph

No, is the easiest answer....

It is possible but it wouldn't be a simple solution and certainly wouldn't be cheap. As to why, I can sort of understand the logic, start off getting used to the car and then bring the turbos in once you are used to it. Good logic, sadly can't be done.

I'm sure someone will make some comment about getting an NA.

No, is the easiest answer....

It is possible but it wouldn't be a simple solution and certainly wouldn't be cheap. As to why, I can sort of understand the logic, start off getting used to the car and then bring the turbos in once you are used to it. Good logic, sadly can't be done.

I'm sure someone will make some comment about getting an NA.

Exactly, buy an N/A Joph and you cant go wrong.

I've often wondered this. So peeps here are saying that the turbos can't easily and safely be fudged to produce no boost?

The OP's question could be taken in 2 different ways:

1) stop the turbos spinning altogether

2) allow them to spin as normal, but don't allow them to push air into the engine. This is the one I'm referring to in my question.

PS I already have an NA :)

I've often wondered this. So peeps here are saying that the turbos can't easily and safely be fudged to produce no boost?

2) allow them to spin as normal, but don't allow them to push air into the engine. This is the one I'm referring to in my question.

Yeh but why on earth would you want to stop the turbo's when the purpose of the TT engine is to force induction into the engine by means of

2 turbo's. Stopping the Turbo's cant do much for the engine...

So, i would get an N/A when it's just naturally aspirated...

You could just fudge the wastegate but i think there would still be an issue with J-Specs as the wastegate isn't big enough so just as he is getting used to driving it as an N/A he rev's to over 4000rpm, 2nd tubby comes on and he flies into a ditch sideways.

Not sure about this though as the wastegate should be ok as long as the boost hasn't been tampered with lol.

The turbo's aren't the problem though, the driver is. Its all about your right foot and getting over excited.

Yeh but why on earth would you want to stop the turbo's when the purpose of the TT engine is to force induction into the engine by means of

2 turbo's. Stopping the Turbo's cant do much for the engine...

So, i would get an N/A when it's just naturally aspirated...

My car has been running great without the tubby's.

Could just pull the intercooler pipe off the throttle body and replace with a cone filter - the car would be hopelessly overfuelled and run like a pig of course... but the desired effect of no boost would be achieved!

Yeh you could but why buy a TT if you don't want the Turbo's to work??

Yeh you could but why buy a TT if you don't want the Turbo's to work??

I'm just guessing here but its the only semi logical explanation i can come up with.

He wants to have a TT but has never driven a RWD car let alone one with upwards of 300bhp. He wants to be sensible and decides that it would be better to learn to handle the RWD with limited power before going the whole 320bhp hog. His 2 choices are either to buy an N/A then progress to a TT (waste of money if your aim is a TT and you can afford it just now) or work out a way to limit the power until he is ready (wanting to negate the tubby's).

IMO there is no need to drop the power of the TT as it is still controllable via a varied right foot. If you know whats under there simply don't press it until you are confident. Going from an N/A to TT comes with the same risks, the grin factor :D

I'm just guessing here but its the only semi logical explanation i can come up with.

He wants to have a TT but has never driven a RWD car let alone one with upwards of 300bhp. He wants to be sensible and decides that it would be better to learn to handle the RWD with limited power before going the whole 320bhp hog. His 2 choices are either to buy an N/A then progress to a TT (waste of money if your aim is a TT and you can afford it just now) or work out a way to limit the power until he is ready (wanting to negate the tubby's).

IMO there is no need to drop the power of the TT as it is still controllable via a varied right foot. If you know whats under there simply don't press it until you are confident. Going from an N/A to TT comes with the same risks, the grin factor :D

Yeh i see where you're coming from but the usual route is upgrading from n/a to a TT...

Surely though, it cant do much for the TT, if the turbo's because that's the way the TT is designed...

Im probably wrong but, it's just the way it sounds...

Yeh i see where you're coming from but the usual route is upgrading from n/a to a TT...

Surely though, it cant do much for the TT, if the turbo's because that's the way the TT is designed...

Im probably wrong but, it's just the way it sounds...

If you had the money to buy, insure and run a TT... would you buy an N/A?

I know i wouldn't.

If the only thing holding someone back is fear then its a missunderstanding of how a car works. Yes the TT can get you into trouble quicker but only if your not being careful. At legal and safe speed's there is no difference between a TT and a corsa, cept the TT would brake better and the corsa would be getting 50mpg.

If you had the money to buy, insure and run a TT... would you buy an N/A?

I know i wouldn't.

If the only thing holding someone back is fear then its a missunderstanding of how a car works. Yes the TT can get you into trouble quicker but only if your not being careful. At legal and safe speed's there is no difference between a TT and a corsa, cept the TT would brake better and the corsa would be getting 50mpg.

Yeh i know Scoster but im thinking that because the way the TT engine is designes, it cant be good to cut them out...surely...

Or you could drive at low revs and not hit boost until you are ready... ;-)

Yeh i know Scoster but im thinking that because the way the TT engine is designes, it cant be good to cut them out...surely...

Or you could drive at low revs and not hit boost until you are ready... ;-)

You can drive at whatever revs you like and not hit boost ;)

Think someone else needs to read up on how a turbo engine works :p