The mkiv Supra Owners Club

By passing the turbos on a TT Sup

Guest joph

I'm just guessing here but its the only semi logical explanation i can come up with.

He wants to have a TT but has never driven a RWD car let alone one with upwards of 300bhp. He wants to be sensible and decides that it would be better to learn to handle the RWD with limited power before going the whole 320bhp hog. His 2 choices are either to buy an N/A then progress to a TT (waste of money if your aim is a TT and you can afford it just now) or work out a way to limit the power until he is ready (wanting to negate the tubby's).

:D

Exactly that Scotster, I want to get a twin turbo for sure, but see no point in going for an NA as I know I will end up getting a TT eventually. I have had a mazda mx5 and currently own a BMW 1 series which is also rwd so thats not the problem, it is as you say, knowing your car and getting to know how it behaves before I get myself into trouble unnessasarily.

I have got the balls but want to keep them if that makes sense! :)

Exactly that Scotster, I want to get a twin turbo for sure, but see no point in going for an NA as I know I will end up getting a TT eventually. I have had a mazda mx5 and currently own a BMW 1 series which is also rwd so thats not the problem, it is as you say, knowing your car and getting to know how it behaves before I get myself into trouble unnessasarily.

Haha, fair play to you Joph... :-D

There is no point getting used to a less torquey, heavy car with a liner powerband if you intend jumping into a TT, its really not that difficult, I went from a 1.4 Civic to a 390bhp RWD torque monster - just be careful you will soon get used to it

To be honest if you have driven an MX-5 and a 1 series then you've probably sampled as much as an NA will throw at you anyway - ok yes, it will be quicker than those two, but it will also offer more grip so if you can manage to keep those two sticky side down you should be fine in a NA.

Jumping to a TT as long as you aren't a driver that thinks the throttle is a simple 2 way switch and you have a fairly healthy fear of death you should be fine - just remember the traction control in the Soop will attempt to make you look like a d***head at every opportunity but it is better than nothing, so don't switch it off just yet. It is not up to the standard of the traction control in a 350z for example, but it will attempt to do something to help, mostly.

You do have some nearly friendly weather to have a bit of fun, and if you drive it in the rain or the snow don't try to be a hero and race an evo, instead try and play the "what is the best mpg I can get out of this car" game and you'll have many happy years together with your Supra. I'd wait until next spring before starting to tweak and tune your new wheels, this year concerntrate on handling and tyres - then go on the quest for more power :)

all this talk about testicles.... basically the car will accelerate as quickly as you allow it too. its as simple as that, tickle it around and you'll be driving miss daisy, floor it and you'll get a woody. if your uneasy about the power then leave the TC on, at low revs the supra is a pussycat

To be honest if you have driven an MX-5 and a 1 series then you've probably sampled as much as an NA will throw at you anyway - ok yes, it will be quicker than those two, but it will also offer more grip so if you can manage to keep those two sticky side down you should be fine in a NA.

Jumping to a TT as long as you aren't a driver that thinks the throttle is a simple 2 way switch and you have a fairly healthy fear of death you should be fine - just remember the traction control in the Soop will attempt to make you look like a d***head at every opportunity but it is better than nothing, so don't switch it off just yet. It is not up to the standard of the traction control in a 350z for example, but it will attempt to do something to help, mostly.

You do have some nearly friendly weather to have a bit of fun, and if you drive it in the rain or the snow don't try to be a hero and race an evo, instead try and play the "what is the best mpg I can get out of this car" game and you'll have many happy years together with your Supra. I'd wait until next spring before starting to tweak and tune your new wheels, this year concerntrate on handling and tyres - then go on the quest for more power :)

or maybe your a mad max fan and want to have selectable turbos so that you can have a "go faster" switch in your car just like the road warrior :eyebrows:

Haha, well said guys! :-D

Joph, Pezzler and flip are both right but to start with i would go with Flip as the TT will take you by suprise, she done that to me the other day...

Coming out of work, i wasnt flooring it, the TC was on and she still went sideways slightly turning left out of work, and after i corrected it,

the TC light flashed at me!

Bit late though!

Yeah, the reactions on the TC are a touch sluggish, more than once I have reacted, caught and corrected the scrabble before the TC wakes up! As I am blessed with the facelift TC, it then jumps out of its box, reckons its snowing, sets the TC accordingly and buries my face in the windscreen...

Still wouldn't be without it though, its saved me a couple of times :o)

Yeah, the reactions on the TC are a touch sluggish, more than once I have reacted, caught and corrected the scrabble before the TC wakes up! As I am blessed with the facelift TC, it then jumps out of its box, reckons its snowing, sets the TC accordingly and buries my face in the windscreen...

Still wouldn't be without it though, its saved me a couple of times :o)

Yeh, happened to me a couple of times too, when i was going...shall we say...very sideways, the TC engages snow mode and omg, i hate that!

I give him 3 months until he goes on the BPU quest, then a further 3 months till he starts avidly reading the single conversion threads... :D

Seriously, good choice joph, now you can start the real debate and ask which colour you should get.

I give him 3 months until he goes on the BPU quest, then a further 3 months till he starts avidly reading the single conversion threads... :D

Seriously, good choice joph, now you can start the real debate and ask which colour you should get.

Most probably...lol... :-D

Joph, are you going to use the Turbo's or cut them off for a while until you get used to the Supe??

Just buy a boost gauge and concentrate on learning to keep under the 0 - there is a close relationship between how hard you press the pedal under your right foot and the needle on the boost gauge staying below or going above 0 :)

That should teach you to have a non digital right foot... which will prepare you nicely for smooth on boost driving. That's the trick to keeping out of hedges really - be smooth on all the controls!

Cheers,

Brian.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Flip, I think im gonna go black for the paint work, black aint a colour as black represents the absence of colour :) that pretty much finishes that debate! :)

Joph