The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Another Auto Question for Auto Owners!

Sparky

Ok so ive determined that Auto is cheaper and less hassle to find and buy but now i need your advise.

Basically everyones always saying the Auto box is a really good box etc but i havent seen anything about how smooth the box is when you give it some stick. (And yes i did use the poor excuse for a search button :().

So what are they like then? Someone i know with a manual TT said that the Auto boxes are almost 1 second slower than manual which tbh doesnt bother me too much, I just dont want a car that throws me forward every time i change gear. Im looking at A Non Facelift TT btw.

I'd really be uspet if i purchased one and regretted it but at the same time theres no-one i know in the Dorset area who will let me have a go in one!:(

The box is really smooth mate the gear changes are way faster than a manual car and throughout all speed ranges and no matter how hard you give it some it always performs well & you do not get any jerkyness through the gears. kickdown on the autobox is great too :D

you would not regret having an auto its in its own league compared to any other regular auto cars out there.

I standard trim this has to be one of the best auto boxes ever made, it can handle the power including BPU at a later stage if you wish, I found the limit when pushed to 500BHP and then I decided to have a 6 speed conversion otherwise I would still be Auto for sure, a great box with several options with over drive, manaul mode and sedate town driving on straight auto mode, when you floor it the kick down is quick and from then on the power is smooth and well delivered with excellent pick up, very little change in the delivery of acceleration through the gears, ask some of the single 6 speed members (me included) how well the auto's did at Santa pod this year, they were very quick as I found it hard to get the power down when I was in control of the clutch along with an over eager right foot !! :D

I've never driven a manual TT, but unless you are some kind of driving god, then I would think you'd be quicker in an auto in a drag race (assuming everything else was standard) than in a manual. Very smooth. Personally, I would only want the manual if going for big power or track days. As a daily driver I don't think it can be beaten.

I have an auto too and as already said it is a great box, add to that the price they're going for now compared to the 6 speeds then unless you have a huge budget then a manual isn't an option.

I'm pretty sure most people on here started out just like you and wanted a manual - I know I did. But budget dictated otherwise - thankfully though it is a great box.

As for the 1 sec slower business - that isn't true. Officially I think the 0-60 quoted on the manual was 4.9 and 5.1 on the auto.

There are some very reasuring posts here. One last question is what the rev range like. For example with a manual i can just keep going and going until i hit the limiter but how does the Auto work? Are there diferent settings depending on how much power you want out of the car at that particular time? Oh and how does the manual side of the auto stick work? Is it a quick flick on the stick up and down or something else?

White SuopraBoy, I will take you up on your offer of a quick ride please. Are you going to the Bakers arm Djcc meet?

I love my auto,totally agree with everyone else its a fantastic box. However i do miss doing the gear changes and testing my skills with the gears, but thats why my other cars a manual Hehe!.

If i had the spare change id of gone for a manual when i was buying, really just for the stigma attached to driving an auto. (Mates do say its a bit of a press and go car, but again there impressed with the performance)

I do totally HATE with a passion manual mode, IMO its bloody useless really. You get to select 1 , 2 or D. However might be good on a track but in normal driving if you wanna select 1, as fail save you have to press the button in which just pisses me right off. Also its not exactly a quick flick on the stick its more of a clunk lol.

There are some very reasuring posts here. One last question is what the rev range like. For example with a manual i can just keep going and going until i hit the limiter but how does the Auto work? Are there diferent settings depending on how much power you want out of the car at that particular time? Oh and how does the manual side of the auto stick work? Is it a quick flick on the stick up and down or something else?

White SuopraBoy, I will take you up on your offer of a quick ride please. Are you going to the Bakers arm Djcc meet?

I now leave for kenya sunday morning so will be missing DJCC meet. So I'm free up until this saturday afternoon (latest 5ish). So can do an evening this week or saturday day. PM me mate I can meet at Bakers arms though as I live close.

The auto changes at the perfect time when foot to floor thats all I can describe it as. I will show you manual mode where you can take revs slightly higher then the auto does but like I said the computer knows when to change perfectly.

I now leave for kenya sunday morning so will be missing DJCC meet. So I'm free up until this saturday afternoon (latest 5ish). So can do an evening this week or saturday day. PM me mate I can meet at Bakers arms though as I live close.

The auto changes at the perfect time when foot to floor thats all I can describe it as. I will show you manual mode where you can take revs slightly higher then the auto does but like I said the computer knows when to change perfectly.

Bakers arms meet is on Thurday night to my knowledge! If it is then do you think you could get there?