The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Another Auto Question for Auto Owners!

Sparky

I tested five car's before I bought mine, three auto's and two manual's, for every day driving the auto win's hand's down for me, throw in some heavy traffic and I know which car i'd rather be in. As the other guy's have said, you can't knock the Supra's auto box for performance either. :)

The auto is smooth and slick, and in heavy traffic superior.

But for rapid takeoff at the lights I find it not to be the best choice, it can give you half a second disadvantage, maybe a bit more (assuming you avoid powerbraking that can damage it)

...and if you go for a single, then you'll be fighting against the box all the time (or spending a fortune for upgrades)

So it's swings and roundabouts.

we have an auto and i am more than happy with it, kick down is great, still brings a smile to my face!!!

for every day driving it is really smooth and efortless, and if needed you can use it in manual mode which we did at santa pod and got better times, so best of both worlds i suppose.

and if you want some alloy pedals for it to add to the interia looks you can get them from demon tweeks.

richie

I tested five car's before I bought mine, three auto's and two manual's, for every day driving the auto win's hand's down for me, throw in some heavy traffic and I know which car i'd rather be in. As the other guy's have said, you can't knock the Supra's auto box for performance either. :)

I think you've summed it up for me!

To sum this up.. I want one now for sure!

- I don't want or really need over 400bhp so im good there.

- I don't really race, but i do enjoy going fast and nice acceleration.

- I mainly go for looks in a car but im after that little more poke that i cant get from my N/a! :(

Woo hoo. Auto here i go.

I find the autobox changes much more smoothly when you are giving it some beans, especially over 4k.

Dont know why that is ... all around its a pretty decent box but not as amazing as some people on here make out. The BMW autos are way better IMO, especially as they were 5 speed from as far back as 1990... they are also a lot smoother.

The gear ratios I find a bit odd for the N/A at any rate, 1st and 2nd are fine, but it seems a very long jump to 3rd and the car doesn't really get going until 4k revs are on the dial. 4th has to be quite long for cruising which is understandable, just think they should have made the gears a little shorter and closer.