The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How many miles is fair?

Millsy

Right, as some of you may know my car was involved in a small accident. It's at the repairers now and hopefully I'll get it back next week. I'm obviously quite precious about my Supra so I logged what the mileage was when it went. Bearing in mind the damage didn't look like it had affected the suspension at all - more cosmetic i.e front bumper, front wing, headlight and the bonnet ever so slightly - what would the acceptable increase in miles be? Surely they wouldn't need to take it for a test drive, or if they did I'm thinking 5 miles max. As it's a big insurance approved bodyshop I just have nightmares that some YTS trainee will see an exciting car for once and give it a spin without taking due care and do damage to the engine or something.

Any thoughts?

The catch 22 is not wanting to be an a@*e in case they decide to do half a job, but I think it would be worth popping in to have a chat with them I guess. I like the idea of them logging any mileage - thanks for that tip.

And the mileage - or kilomage was 139,264 - what's that - about 90 something thousand miles!

I think you're being a tad paranoid. Last year mine was being repaired for front end damage. They put 25 miles on the clock. Initially I was quite annoyed. They explained to check the front spoiler would drop, the safest place was on the M5 only a few miles away. A quick sprint from Cheltenham to Tewkesbury and back. 25 miles. I'd rather they found any vibes, steering issues than me. Plus who's going to be giving the Supe more stick in it's lifetime? They even had another car got out infront to check incase the spoiler light was faulty.

I work for a bodyshop. they shouldnt need more than 5 miles as they will NOT test drive it. (they may say they have) The big jobs will be test driven but not light jobs. You have to hit it very hard to damage suspension.

Let me know if you have any problems when you get it back i may be able to help :)

I think you're being a tad paranoid. Last year mine was being repaired for front end damage. They put 25 miles on the clock. Initially I was quite annoyed. They explained to check the front spoiler would drop, the safest place was on the M5 only a few miles away. A quick sprint from Cheltenham to Tewkesbury and back. 25 miles. I'd rather they found any vibes, steering issues than me. Plus who's going to be giving the Supe more stick in it's lifetime? They even had another car got out infront to check incase the spoiler light was faulty.

They could have just pressed the "Down" button :D

I work for a bodyshop. they shouldnt need more than 5 miles as they will NOT test drive it. (they may say they have) The big jobs will be test driven but not light jobs. You have to hit it very hard to damage suspension.

Let me know if you have any problems when you get it back i may be able to help :)

Cheers mate, appreciate that. I know I'm being paranoid but spoken to enough people in my time to know that there's not always a lot of respect for other people's cars when they're in for work. I wouldn't have minded if I'd taken the car to someone I trust but I know nothing about the company that the insurance company wanted to use.

Just thought I'd update you guys. Went to the bodyshop yesterday to see what was going on with the car. Haven't started it yet. Were asking me what the value was as they estimate the repairs at £3500! Seemed like nice chaps and I said I still wanted it repaired, but they seemed a bit confused about what parts they could get. Toyota apparently can do a bumper exactly the same and I mentionned about the headlight differences which was all news to them obviously. Anyway, if they do fix it all they were even talking about sorting out the paintwork at the back of the car too! Could come back a minter!

if they do fix it all they were even talking about sorting out the paintwork at the back of the car too! Could come back a minter!

haha good thing about insurance jobbies, especially if its a nice garage. you get little extras included, and you dont pay for them. teehee

Yeah, there's definitely some pant-pulling going on and I thought that price was steep. Though they reckon £700 from Toyota for a front bumper. They also reckon the damage has pulled the front wing down a bit - not the chassis rail - not sure what you call it, but the part of the frame that the front wing would bolt on to.