The mkiv Supra Owners Club

all good things come to those who wait - 410BHP

vvteye

Well following my engine collapse (carbonisation killed my engine thread) the gearbox immediately packing in after the engine rebuild, and lots of other niggles da de da de da....:(

I took it back to MKIVStore / Interpro today for another and final dyno run, 3000 miles after the initial run in (with oil change).

I was well chuffed when it hit...

410 BHP at the flywheel

262.5 BHB at the rears

(running at 1.125 bar boost)

So I've finally got there and apart from the legacy on the credit card I can't get the grin off my face. :D

Big thanks to Dave and Jason, Jody and Martin (yes Martin!!!) for all the efforts on this which all come to fruition a few weeks ago.

That was when Dave noted the car was running lean on the high end and on examination, Jody found a stock fuel pump in site so immediately swapped it out for a Walbro. Since then the auto gear changes lost the neck snapping harshness and the car felt a lot quicker and smoother through the range.

Dave attempted to bring me back down to earth today by telling me my SMIC was on the way out but hey... isn't that what credit cards are for and after all.... that should mean a little more BHP and a reduction in lag coming my way once replaced! :cool:

I'll see you all at Santapod where you can see for yourselves how this is completely wasted on an old fart with the reaction times of a slug!!! :eyebrows:

BTW Niggles post engine and gearbox rebuild included:

F*cked Rad

F*cked delimiter

F*cked coil packs

F*cked thermostat

F*cked fuel pump

and the biggest niggle of all...

F*cked off wife!

Apart from the last one ;) Jody was key to resolving all the rest and I can never express my heartfelt thanks for his many hours of grafting in ensuring all these were put right.

Also thanks to Gareth (CardiffSupra), Jon (Downimpact) and Mike (Chenco 69!) from the South Wales clan and Matt (Mattana) for their great support and comarderie when times were bad.

I never lost the faith but now I am truly looking forward for many years of Supra funtimes.

Good to hear its back and running properly :) Must be a relief after all this time!

The dyno figures are odd though, for the boost the rw figure is way too low, the flywheel one more or less is right. Seeing as the dyno registers rw power it means something ain't right! Probably the dyno operator not knowing how to do an auto (and the tip's are an absolute nightmare apparently).

Good to hear its back and running properly :) Must be a relief after all this time!

The dyno figures are odd though, for the boost the rw figure is way too low, the flywheel one more or less is right. Seeing as the dyno registers rw power it means something ain't right! Probably the dyno operator not knowing how to do an auto (and the tip's are an absolute nightmare apparently).

I think its more the kit than the operator. Dave has been doing 3 a day for years!!!

Still thanks for the comments Homer and in regards to the something aint right.. New diff it is then!

Glad you have it back. Not sure about the figures. Pop it down to surrey rolling road. Can compare against others then :)

Cheers mate... Popping to Surrey and back will cost around 100 squid in Petrol. I am off to Thor next Saturday and they apparently have one of these dynapack thingies... Besides which... Santapod should help put the theory into practice!

I think its more the kit than the operator. Dave has been doing 3 a day for years!!!

You're probably right, all the other results I've seen from there have been far from what you'd expect. The reason I mention the operator is that most dyno's see 95%+ manual cars and really hate the auto's as you can't lock the gear and get a calibration or power run.

THOR will give you a nice result, but it won't be 'real' ;) They're famed for their magical rolling road and its ability to add massive HP to cars that don't have it :D

Most important thing is it's running properly :) RR figures are just there for pub talk or tuning anyway.

What would be a more realistic result for the rearwheels if you have aprox 400 flywheel horsepower? 340?

I did a run at Surrey rolling road (1.15 bar BPU) and that came out at 338.7 BHP rear wheels and their estimate was 405.3 BHP on the Flywheel.

Ro

Thats all gonna change soon i hope;)

Currently trying to work out how to convince the insurance company that nos shouldnt add to my policy......so hopefully there will be no worries in not being disappointed!

What would be a more realistic result for the rearwheels if you have aprox 400 flywheel horsepower? 340?

Depends on gearbox, for a manual I think thats about right, on my 6spd 360rwhp = 428fwhp acording to SRR

Auto would be less due to drivetrain loss, a rough calculation would mean the same engine would result in 330rwhp in an auto.

Thanks Guys

You are all so supportive, epecially in times of woe. Despite the readings on the RWHP I know it's pulling more than that by the way it leaves my colleagues Prodrive STI in it's wake :D

Running it on the 1.125 boost and blatting it I do get the occasional fuel cut appearing though.

I have a 2nd decat Blitz Nur Spec (modified with a different 3 inch stainless pipe), HKS FCD etc (all detailed in my garage).

By dropping the boost down I eliminate the cut but is there a mod I should be looking at to be able to run at this boost without getting cut.

TBH I don't know what makes the cut kick in... any advice would, be greatly appreciated.