The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Think I’ve trashed my rear diff!

Dr_Doom

Went for a curry tonight and drove there with a couple of mates in the car. As we got there and I started to slow down the car started making random clunking & banging noises from the rear wheels. It sounded like the rear brakes were sticking & snatching :( I went straight home after and it seems to do it when driving under 20mph.. Like the rear wheels are locking up. I checked when I got home & the rear discs weren’t even warm! I’ve had a good search on here and it sounds like the rear diff has broken & maybe some teeth have broken off.. I’m guessing that when I hit the kerb the other day (dodging the tree) it must have fractured the teeth and tonight one of them broke off!.. I’ll hopefully be taking it to the garage on Monday for a full diagnosis, I’m just praying it makes it there without the rest of the teeth stripping off!... :rolleyes:

Luckily, I think I’ve already managed to source a replacement diff but what sort of price (labour etc) will I be looking at to get it fitted? Is it a difficult/big job?

Anyone think it might be something else other than the diff?

Cheers for your help, it’s much appreciated,

Rob.

P.S. the worst thing is that I hardly ate any of my curry because I was worrying about what was wrong with my car!

With it being an NA it's an open diff.. Would love to get a TRD diff but i'm skint at the mo and need to get it back on the road asap as it's my only car & i need it for work. I've found an exact replacement from a 1996 NA manual at the right price & local. Unless anyone knows of a lsd diff that will fit going cheap?

I'm going to get the wheel bearing checked but i thought this would just make a droning noise and not make the wheels feel like they're snatching..

thanks for the advice :)

I'm going to get the wheel bearing checked but i thought this would just make a droning noise and not make the wheels feel like they're snatching..

It would IMO, no reason for bearings to make the wheel snatch like that. unless they were properly fooked! Both of them that is. Jack the car up and spin one of the rear wheels and see what happens.

Thats almost what happened to me, with the added advantage that I blew the feck out of the diff housing at the same time. At least it's quite an easy fix, unlike my heater matrix :(

Unlucky mate :( .. I think the heater matrix is near the top of every supra owners most feared list! :).. Think I’d probably have a go at it myself if it ever went, considering the repair bill costs! :blink: The worst part is supposed to be pulling the dashboard out & I’m pretty good at dismantling things ;)