The mkiv Supra Owners Club

AEM vs Greddy Solenoid Spool Difference

Wez

Hmmm, without looking at the graph I'd say it's likely more about how the boost controller has been setup rather than the solenoid itself.

Cheers,

Brian.

Indeed it isn't exactly clear...I'd need to see a test done with 2 brand new units first of all....

My understanding is that only the solenoid was changed and the AEM ECU was used to control boost in both instances.

What the guy is saying is that with the AEM solenoid he was able to build boost faster as the solenoid was working quicker than the Greddy unit. I think most solenoids do not allow 0% or 100% ie open or closed so some air is always going to working on the wastgate therefore slowing your spool.

I am not using any electronic boost control on my motor at the moment as I have a TurboXS MBC unit which basically holds off completely until the desired pressure is reached.

EDIT: just to add the graph shows greddy and aem unit difference.

Yeah it looks to me like the AEM solenoid allowed the turbo to spin up a bit faster, but I've no idea why unless, as Wez surmises, the Greddy one is leaking the wastegate open a tad.

I could understand a solenoid holding boost with more stability if it was faster reacting though.

-Ian

I think what he was saying is that he couldn't set the old one to fully closed while building boost because it didn't open fast enough when at his target boost and therefore he overshot the boost he was aiming for. The new one allowed this as it opened faster. That's how I read it.

The only way to be certain, would be to do a back-to-back test with new/known good items.

I changed from a 5 year old Blitz unit to a new one a couple of years ago, and I could see and feel the new one was an improvement. I also found my previous settings needed reducing to reach the same level of boost, so I'd guess they can wear out.

The GReddy Type-S is a relatively cheap EBC, as said it would be interesting to test against a brand new Blitz solenoid. I certainly noticed a big improvement in spool up with the Blitz compared to previous models.

:hijack: but on the same subject, I have an HKS EVC with a knackered solenoid, unfortunately HKS don't sell the solenoid separately. Would it be possible to use say a GReddy or Blitz solenoid with the HKS controller?