The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Caliper pin not moving

Daston

Will it not undo at all? Get a breaker bar on it after giving it a load of plus gas or WD40.

Take the offending pin out (in fact do both) and stick it in a drill and clean it with some 800 Wet & Dry paper. Then grease it with silicone grease & stick it back in. Will work a treat.

If it won't come out, take the rest of the caliper apart and heat up the torque plate where it screws in, then spray it with WD40 while still very hot & get the breaker bar on it. Then clean it up as above.

Good luck!

17mm spanner on it, cut away the rubber boot, plenty of penetrating fluid in to soak and then give it another go at rotating it. If you get some movement then persist in a back and forth motion to try and increase the range of movement. Molegrips that clamp the pin can help to apply pressure in toward the car as you twist/rotate. Again as you rotate and also apply the pressure in to the car to try and get the pin out, it may become stuck again and require you to tap/hammer it back in, and start again.

Heat applied to the caliper will help too......

If you get it out you need to seriously clean out the hole the pin sits in else it can reoccur.....for the price of a secondhand caliper it may be less hassle to just change the whole caliper, but the above will get you back on the road........

• 9 months later...
Heat, lots of it. Penetrating oil, lots of it. Patience, lots of it.

and plenty of skin on the knuckles..... Can't count the number of times i've slipped, snapped a socket, twisted an allen key; only resulting my hand rapidly accelerating... to be suddenly de-accelerated by the impact of skin on the inner arch of the wheel... followed by a loud expression of the pain in various languages..

• 3 years later...
yeah, what can I stick in it.

Should I give it a drilling with a blunt bit or something?

I usually just use a rag or a wipe, twist it and stick it in. If struggling a small bottle cleaner would help, with some fairy liquid or other degreasing agent. Make sure it is properly cleaned out with some IPA or vodka (using the twist and stick method) and then re-grease.

Not referring to the actual brakes themselves as I don't think I've done them before, just a general "How to" of hole cleaning right there :D