The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Think my smic is dying

Mike M

With this being my first turbo engine I'm still a bit unsure of symtoms but today I gave it full beans in 1st and felt 1st tubby then the 2nd kick but at 5k revs onwards the hard pull tailed off and seemed sluggish almost like it didn't want to rev harder. The car had been sitting for 10 min after a 40 odd mile drive allowing heat to build up i suppose.

I went out later for a test drive and 3rd 4th 5th all pulled strongly through the revs and after some silly speeds I managed to open 1st up and it also was fine. After 5min of trundling along about 40 I opened up 1st gear and got the sluggishness back.

I think it's heatsoak anyway, there's no missfiring, smoke or funny noises just a 13 yr old original IC. I dont have a boost gauge yet which would be handy right now.:(

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

vsv problem? could be sticking maybe. What I am noticing also is doing 60 in 6th then drop it into 3rd and floor it nothing really happens it struggles to rev from 5 - 6k then throws you back into the seat to the red line there is no delay in any gear after that. I've been putting it down to turbo lag as No-2 needs to pre spool but I could well be daft for thinking that.

Thanks mate. yeah it's a bit weird I guess if the IC was going it would be a gradual loss in power where as this just seems to have happened one day. Hard to say when it started, I dont hit No-2 in 1st gear all that often and the car sits in the garage for a couple weeks every month.

Just been having a wee look and found both the EGBV VSV hoses pulled off with little effort, the ends were stretched and starting to split. I've got them tight now by cutting the ends off.

The pressure tank feed hoses are tight and look fine, the pressure tank is really awkward so I cant get a good look.

The car feels a bit better now anyway even managed to yelp the tyres in 1st when No-2 come on.

Also just noticed the hose to the EGCV VSV is in a bad way split all the way round the end.

Ok, Paul. So what is the diffrince between the Stock SMIC and the uprated one, cooling wise ?

And how is it that yours uprated ones are more then 250£ cheeper then the CW ones, have anyone compared these two and came to a conlucsion if the CW ones are worth that much extra.

Im on hybrids and aming to run 1.4 bars from time to time,

Im thinking of yours stock replacment but dont know if it would be a wise move, maybe the uprated ones are much beter.

Ok, Paul. So what is the diffrince between the Stock SMIC and the uprated one, cooling wise ?

And how is it that yours uprated ones are more then 250£ cheeper then the CW ones, have anyone compared these two and came to a conlucsion if the CW ones are worth that much extra.

Im on hybrids and aming to run 1.4 bars from time to time,

Im thinking of yours stock replacment but dont know if it would be a wise move, maybe the uprated ones are much beter.

My uprated is much thicker etc tahn the std stock replacement

Have done dyno runs with both of mine to great effect over the knackered SMIC's in situ - HP between +10HP-18HP and corresponding Torque

But bit like CW says - I haven't got the time to do more stuff / testing - so up to you m8!

I have three running the uprated to great effect - and just one the std one so far (these arrive end of the month)

Have done dyno runs with both of mine to great effect over the knackered SMIC's in situ - HP between +10HP-18HP and corresponding Torque

What I would suggest Paul, is you do the testing - where all things being equal - or at least as much as possible.

A stock sidemount - in the same or at least in a similar condition - to your IC's.

Your IC's are no doubt going to be in better condition and give out better power results than a knackered SMIC. (See my for sale thread for an example).

Thereby, I don't see that as a conclusive test.

• 2 weeks later...

Admittedly if I was selling a product that was trying to compete against the Toyota SMIC then that would be a relevant point

However it is not trying to compete

I am selling a 'replacement' which I would say (almost certainly) may not be as effecient s a new Toyota one at £1000 (or whatever it is)

But at £300 it will provide a very viable alternative

AND

Although it may not be as good as a brand new Toyota SMIC it is certainly better then a knackered One!

If you really require a test then by all means - you provide a brand new Toyota SMIC and I will provide one of my replacement ones (both designs)

And lets see - but this will be for your requirement and not mine...