The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fluttering Noise help?!

Ric

Hi guys

As a new supra owner this noise has worried me :(

My engine is stock bar a airfilter (which i can hear the standard bov going on liftoff etc)

Im getting a intermittant Fluttering noise around 2.5-3.5 Rpm and when on the gas going down the road. I dont know if this is normal but when i pulled up and revved the engine it did the same noise, got futher down the road stopped, revved, No noise this time?

When i got home it also didnt make the noise..

I have heard this noise on other occastions but this is the first time ive took notice of it :(

Any ideas chaps?

Ric.

Not really sure about that, i know i was surprised when i took off the HKS BOV for a test, and found that it still made a noise like the BOV going of when i came off the throttle:blink: i do get a little waste gate chatter (sounds like a pigeon) from time to time, but i have an aftermarket air filter.

its not gonna help much i know, but my Leon does this in low rpm/high gear situations. For me, its not a good noise at all - apparently mine is the DV oscilating, and i think its because my vacuum is too weak to lift it off its seat properly.

I'll be keeping my eye on this thread as your solution may in turn help me. I've had this problem for 1yr+ now... grrr.

Just sounds like a bit of compressor surge, nothing to worry about. Sounds like it makes the sound when you come off of the throttle, probably at low rev's and when it's only pulling low boost, just off of neutral boost in fact..?

His BOV if working correctly should stop the turbo from surging.

The mk3 Supra uses a virtually identical BOV as standard (just the outlet pipes are straight and not at an angle) and these are well known for blowing. They only have a diaghram inside and after years/miles they blow apart.

Gives the boost a nice escape route and also causes fluttering noises when coming off boost.

Happened on my mk3 when I put a Blitz SUS filter on it, sounded awesome! You could take the BOV off and blow straight through it, you shouldn't be able to do that. Worth a look!

I have the same issue. Thought it was a split in an IC hose but nothing found. Changed the BOV still nothing (unless the second BOV was knackered also).

Mine sounds a bit like a ralley car coming off boost with a Tsh,Tsh,Tsh flutter sound.

Have put up posts before and even had club members look at it? Still no answer. To be honest its been doing it now for ages and as far as I can tell does not seem to affect performance etc.

Like you I am concerned and want to try and find a fix as my concern is that the fluttery sound is the turbo stalling!

I-macca, this might sound like a stupid question but if the bov is knackered will this have any effect on the performance or on the turbos?

Really

Yes, really, I'm not just making it up for my own pleasure you know. It's the same design as the mk3 Supra BOV and a quick search on mkiiisupra.net will highlight that they are prone to failure.

And yes, a knackered BOV will allow pressurised from the manifold back in to the intake whilst on boost, therefore bleeding some away from the engine.

• 3 months later...

I have hard this fluueting sound on one of the posts on there and mine is not that loud.

You see when i was driving home tonight i pulled up i opened the door to sort my broken arial out (freezing up caused this) i bliped the throttle and it sounded like a failry faint fluttering sound i cant think this is the turbos?

What could this be?