The mkiv Supra Owners Club

help!!! steering prob!

Taylor

further to this thread

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=63735

driving home from work today and the steering felt "really lumpy" like i would turn the wheel and part of the turn would have power steering and part of it wouldnt if that makes sense. then when i pulled up the engine temp was higher then normal it nomally stops at 90 but was at nearly 100. and it smelt funny!

help me im worried bout her!

Following your threads sounds like you should first change the belt, the noises you heard were the belt slipping, worse when cold because the alternator is charging the battery hard and is harder to turn (hence more slip) and also on full lock because the ps pump is working harder.

Now the belt is so worn its slipping more and causing overheating and more ps slippage.

Once you have changed the belt check the tensioner (its on the lhd side from memory and is the only 'spring loaded' pulley. Make sure this is tensioning the belt properly, try and twist the belt through 90degrees on the longest edge thats usually a good rule of thumb (should be able to twist through 90degrees but quite stiff). If the new belt squeals, or slips the tensioner will need to be looked at.

ok here is what i would do......

follow the path of the belt that goes round, amongst others, the power steering pulley. Look carefully at each pulley for anything that looks off line / out of the ordinary. Note the pulley thats central where the belt almost doubles back on itself has no 'sides' or 'lip' to it, this is normal as this is the tensioner wheel where the belt can be slid off it a 14mm spanner/socket is used to release the belt tension (socket has to be turned clockwise).

If everything appears ok, then i'd get someone to start her up and turn the steering wheel, and observe again especially the crank pulley Chris mentions.

Shouldn't think it would go at idle but you might want to avoid looking straight down at the belt/pulleys when doing this.

Fluid starts off red but its probably more browny?

BTW inspect the belt in general, the belts 'V's will have cracks in them but this normal. The belt life can be measured by the marker on the part of the tensioner where it pivots on the engine block. From visualising it in my head the nearer the pointer on the tensioner is to the right of the adjustment band the more worn (stretched) the belt is.

have you had a helper turn the wheel while you look? still nothing untoward? no noises etc when they say its getting stiff?

Next thing i'd do is remove the belt, not difficult but potentially a bit daunting if you don't dabble, mechanics wise. Basically it just requires you putting a 14mm spanner on the nut of tensioner pulley. Put it horizontal (slightly downwards will be better) and pointing towards the battery and then push down. A fair amount of pressure is required and someone else to remove the belt from the tensioner makes it easier. Then you can inspect each pulley for play and whether its free spinning or feels rough etc. I think all (apart from the crank pulley!) should be free spinning.