The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ok Im new owner and i got problems

Guest seanophobia

Guest seanophobia

I recently bought a 1994 twin turbo automatic supra, i drove it, tore everything around up and when i was doing doughnuts one night the radiator blew, all was find and good, i parked it and towed it a few hours later, well now im trying to fix it and me being a car idiot, im having a problem and no idea how to go about fixing it

Ok so the radiator blown right, ok got a new one, havent put it in yet but upon a thorough looking around i notice a pulley a circle pully laying toward the bottom of the engine, and well i see where it fell off of im wondering if anyone has a diagram of the front of a 2jzgte engine so i can point out which one it is, and ive never seen the pully fall off like this before, its not like a solid circle, its a circle pulley thats completely open in the middle pullys heightxweidth is prolly 5x5 and the thickness of the medal is maybe 1 1/2 inch if that makes any sense please someone at least point me in the right direction, since this is a do it urself project and im pretty new, i figure hell, minds well start on a good car than work my way up, plus im in love with the supra!

That, my good man, sounds like half your crank pulley falling off. Is it like the arrowed bit in the attached picture?

If your radiator blew it may have been because your coolant overheated, as this bit drives your aircon, alternator, and the water pump. If you overheated the coolant that much there is a chance you've shafted the head gasket as well, but hopefully not.

The front end accessory drive pulley is connected to the crank pulley by a rubber dampener, and this bit has seen a few failures now the cars are getting older. It can be caused by someone using a blowtorch in an effort to get the crank pulley bolt off as well.

-Ian

FEADdrive.jpg

Guest seanophobia

To the radiator blowing problem, no problem there, the radiator blew, cause it was cracked already, and i was to lazy to fix it at the time, it was a hairline crack, not the big of a deal, but then a damn mustang thought he was the shit, and i had to eat him up, burnout wise that is, and that crack expanded, and i seen some steam and parked it but during the whole process that crack pulley came off or something and whammo, its comepletely off, and i dunno what the heck, i got a couple old timers that live next door, they looked at it and said i dunno what the heck so im resorting to online searches, (spent all my money on the car dont got alot to spare to pay some crazy amount to get it fixed at the dealership so im trying to figure out what i gotta get and how to fix this)

Guest seanophobia

here are some pics maybe since u know more bout it u can see what im talkin bout

Edit: Ignore the times on that, never set camera time, i just took those, if u need any more pics of anything let me know ill go take em, ive been itching to get this fixed, theres nothing in the world like driving a supra!

100_2865.jpg

100_2866.jpg

100_2868.jpg

100_2873.jpg

Excellent work my US chum. I thought I was bad, wrecking the PS pump by doughnutting.

That certainly looks like the outer half of the crank pulley, but how come the belt is still on all the other pulleys? Has the power steering stopped working?

Ah! The old under-driven Waterpump/altenator/AC/PAS mod, the cheap way. Nice.

Don't drive the car until the crank pulley has been replaced. Apart from anything else, under geared water pumps are a Very Bad Idea¹

Also, how far did you tow this auto Supra of yours?

¹©Ian Chisholm 2006

Guest seanophobia

Flat bed towed, did start and drive about 15 feet into garage once whole thing happened, can you give me details on how i go about fixing this, it just clicks when i turn the key...

Ah, OK. To us UK guys the word Towed means like pulled along by another vehicle with 2 or 4 wheels of the towed vehicle still in contact with the road. I can see it means something else to you US guys.

The clicking/not starting is not (well not directly) related to the crank pulley problem. Is the battery fully charged? Can the engine be turned over manually? (Via a 7/8ths spanner on the crank pulley, for example)

Crank pulley - I had the same problem (I wasn't donuting though, just driving along!)

The garage I had replace it said they've had quite a few Supras in with the same problem. I guess that once they get old, the bond between the two parts just fail.

The belt was still on and it could be driven really slowly, but it was heartbraking to hear it crying like that! :)

Yep, it's exactly that bit I arrowed in my first post. You need a new crank pulley. Your battery is probably flat as the alternator won't have been driven very well due to this part of the crank pulley seperating from the rest of it. Your PAS and aircon would have sucked too.

It's probably a good job your radiator let go due to an existing problem as soon as the coolant temps started climbing otherwise you may have caused serious engine overheat damage :)

-Ian

Flat bed towed, did start and drive about 15 feet into garage once whole thing happened, can you give me details on how i go about fixing this, it just clicks when i turn the key...

To solve your problem, just got to get a new pulley fitted, around £200 over here, probably $23 over there, damn UK prices.

Oh, and sort out your rad.

Guest seanophobia

you guys are the greatest...

Ok just to make sure im getting everything, as in the pictures, what happened is when i bought the car, it had a hairline crack in the radiator, im talking like i only had to put water in it once in like 4 months of driving, and one night, (shamefully, i was umm "messed up" and showing off) i did some doughnuts and whammoo, steam from under the engine, i figured the radiator just blew, i didnt know bout the other problem till yesterday... its been sitting about 2 months broke with what i though was just a radiator problem, but yes when it happened, i turned the car off immediatly, and parked it, I had to start it and drive it about 20 feet so the tow truck could get it in the right position to get on flatbed, (Long story dont ask) then i started it and drove it about another 15? feet or so, but it made a horrible clang noise which i now think was that pulley coming off, chipped the radiator fan blades as well, but when i try to start it just to see, it makes a extremely fast clicking noise, i know the battery was dead, but i got a 50 amp booster for things like this, and it still was just clicking... I love my supra and i just dont wanna do anything to screw it up anymore, cause im a friggin moron,

anyhow, so replace the radiator and can i replace the crank pulley thing myself or does a shop have to do it (Im very good at following directions, but i basically dont know shit bout cars)

also, i appreciate all the help you guys givin, its a lifesaver, i was worried i was fuc*ed

If you can get the right pages of the workshop manual, you _shoud_ be able to swap the crank pulley yourself. Be brave though, because you have to strip away most of the front of the engine. And the bolt is supposed to be a complete PITA to crack off without a humungogynormous breaker bar.

The crank pulley swap needs some non-mainstream tools, like a big-ass impact socket (something like 22mm but don't quote me on that), a beefy T-bar for it, and a breaker bar about 3ft long. You also have the nightmare of locking up the engine in some fashion so you can undo the bolt. I don't know a good way of doing that because I'm a manual so I just put it in 1st :p

The bolt is extremely tight. You'll also need a pulley puller to get the old one off.

-Ian