The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fuel smell

Dash Rendar

Hi all

Having recently gone BPU, I now have the problem of an extremely strong smell of fuel in the cabin. I'm pretty sure it's blowing in from the engine bay through the air heating/cooling system.

It's not bad when the car starts, but seems to be really strong after 3 or four minutes, especially if I've been cruising and then come to rest or roll slowly.

It stinks bad on the outside too. Someone suggested that this is because I no longer have cats, but I can't believe that.

I've read a couple of people had similar problems with a leaking FSE. I've just had an FSE installed, but I wouldn't know what to do with it!!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There should be NO smell of petrol. It sounds like you have a leak and should get it sorted fast. If there is a smell of petrol coming into the cabin from the engine bay then there is a real and potential danger.

Unfortunately I can't offer a suggestion as to where it's coming from.

I've tightened it up, but the fuel is still quite literally pouring from the FSE. Grrr.

And now, I can hear a rapid tapping noise coming from the engine block. WTF?

Dash, who fitted your FSE ? Why not take it back to whomever fitted it ?

Or stick your stock FPR back on. Or get Aeromotive FPR.

Dash, who fitted your FSE ? Why not take it back to whomever fitted it ?

Because I can't get hold of him. I took it back twice because of the fuel smell. The first time he told me it was because it was decatted. The second time I took it back he said he'd resolved it. The third time I complained he said he'd come out and fix it, but then didn't show at the agreed time. Then he didn't answer the phone or respond to emails. And now he's gone on holiday.

Or stick your stock FPR back on. Or get Aeromotive FPR.

I don't have it. If I did, I wouldn't know what to do with it.

How much is an aeromotive FPR? I've spent all my money. :(

Because I can't get hold of him. I took it back twice because of the fuel smell. The first time he told me it was because it was decatted. The second time I took it back he said he'd resolved it. The third time I complained he said he'd come out and fix it, but then didn't show at the agreed time. Then he didn't answer the phone or respond to emails. And now he's gone on holiday.

I don't have it. If I did, I wouldn't know what to do with it.

How much is an aeromotive FPR? I've spent all my money. :(

I think about £120. From the techie people I've spoken to - FSE's do tend to leak. I'm not saying yours is leaking because it's broken ... But I'd get it checked by someone abit more ........ reliable!

That's good advice. Problem is, I don't really want to drive it far with it pouring fuel everywhere! Do you know anyone in the Bracknell area that would have the skills to take a peek?

I'd have thought any competent garage should be able to fix the leak or patch it up. The only one I really know in the area is in Reading (Thames Valley MOT) so its probably a bit too far.

was the FSE and new item ?? or a used one .... have a look to see if it is tarnished at all .....you should not be driving the car in that state, else it may go up in :flame: .....

Why would you want to change the toyota fpr in the first place and put one of these on ??? i would suggest you take out the nut thats leaking and get yourself a thin copper washer that has a rubber internal seal and put that on , then tightened it up . This should stop the leak , else you may have damaged the internal threads and that means new fpr... A decent one which aeromotive does for stock rails will only cost $98 + $30 shipping from the US .And they are excellent quality for stock replacement which are adjustable aswell.