The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Question on SMIC/FMIC

TT-DEK

It depends if you want to modify the car for extra power and how much you want.

A FMIC won't work quite aswell with a stock bumper as the opening isn't quite big enough.

Also, with a FMIC you won't get as much cooling to the radiator and engine as the air flow is restricted.

But a FMIC ( with large intake in bumper ) is preferred over the SMIC for higher power levels .

There's never been any tests done to compare them .

It's almost impossible to compare like-for-like, because the very installation of the FMIC will create a new balance of heat and airflow in the engine bay.

In short peak power runs on the road a good FMIC will usually win over a SMIC because of the extra mass.

In dyno tests it will also win over a SMIC because of the extra mass, the (usually) open bonnet that allows the bay to stay cooler than otherwise, and the lack of airflow through the SMIC as it relies on the front wheels turning. (the FMIC does not)

The stock bumper is not well suited for a decent FMIC installation. You have to cripple (or ditch) several things to make space for it, and it still won't be ducted properly at the front.

Just been reading up on above i/c on Technical FAQs.

I have JSpec 93 which i think has the smic. Im thinking of upgrading and wanted your thoughts on a FMIC and its benefits or an UPRATED smic.

WHICH is better and why??

what the hell are you doing?! you're trying to beat me at the RR session next month aren't you?!

:boxing: let the war begin...

Hoped you would,nt see this thread (shit). No only joking mate!.

Yours will blow me away mate? Thought i,d try and stay with them Cossies,

and skylines? for power that is?

lol - no way, we're both BPU aren't we?

could be down to how consistent CW's restrictor ring sizes are ;) or which induction kit/airbox setup are you running?

Just been reading up on above i/c on Technical FAQs.

I have JSpec 93 which i think has the smic. Im thinking of upgrading and wanted your thoughts on a FMIC and its benefits or an UPRATED smic.

WHICH is better and why??

Your SMIC is as old as they get and may be useless unless it has been replaced. Alot of SMIC's are now very inefficient due to the fins breaking down and being unable to conduct heat. Mine was shot so I bought an uprated SMIC and saw my EGTs drop instantly.

Chris Wilsons SMIC is considered by many to be one of the best. A larger FMIC of equal efficency will produce a cooler charge due to its surface area being larger, provied that the air flow though the cooler is proportional. Unfortunalety it is much harder to ensure airflow is optimal with a FMIC.