The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sat Nav

bens747

I've got a ToTom GO 500 and wouldn't be without it.

Theres a good regularly updated speed camera database available for it with Gatso, Specs, Mobile and Red light cameras included.

It can navigate to addresses, post codes or points of interest and is virtually plug and play. Just take it out the box and stick it on the screen.

Voice directions are loud and clear and you can even use it as a hands free kit for your mobile (via bluetooth)

I just bought a pioneer AVIC-X1R and it is mint, monitors speed, direction, G's as well as sat-nav, stereo and 6 disk changer, really nice piece of kit!! also has the gyro's etc that you can't do without for proper satnav 100% GPS systems suck in areas with tall buildings or desnse concentration.

Will post some pics if you like?

Get the Navman 520i top peice of kit & easy to use that's mine would not be with out it check out link below

http://www.navman-pcn.com/index.php?product=39

I've seen and used the navman, nice unit. You can also unlock it and install TomTom on it which I prefer. If you can find a cheap second hand navman unit it could work out to be a very cheap TomTom unit :)

So I am told. Mine works regardless of GPS signal, using the speed pulse and gyro to still know where I am, how fast I am moving and in which direction so that I still have accurate data on where to turn and how far I am from my destination (IE, it doesnt need to see the sky like yours does)

I meant a dense concentration of buildings, e.g. if you are between two rows of terraced houses in manchester, your gps based system may not be able to acquire anough sat's to triangulate your position.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not pissing on anyones fire, just saying that there are real limitations to 100% GPS based systems.

Ok guys just been down to Thames Car Radio and they said the Becker was the best for portable and even then is not as good as a fixed gyro unit. They said even on a day like a foggy or cloudy day blah blah blah. They said the Tom Tom was sh*t blah blah but by the sounds of the units u guys have, ya swear by them and don't seem to have problems.

Am looking for a portable that will take me direct to postcode address and reroute if I decide to go off route like avoiding humps and the like.

Thanks guys for ur continued help.

I just bought a pioneer AVIC-X1R and it is mint,

Wow http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products.jsp?category=morethannavigate&category_id=61&taxonomy_id=25

MerTOC really is a lucky boy/girl! (You decided on a sex yet?)

The problem with these portable systems is they're going to be so nickable surely? Or do you have to register/activate them or they're disabled if you say it's stolen?

I'd vote for TomTom on a PDA too, it's so much more flexible than a dedicated GPS device.

I do get problems in Leeds city centre, especially when you have to stop under the trainline arches. TomTom will predict your ongoing speed for a bit but then it goes mental.

It got me from Spearmint Rhino to my hotel in Harrogate on foot though, when I was "tired and emotional" one night.

Am looking for a portable that will take me direct to postcode address and reroute if I decide to go off route like avoiding humps and the like.

I know my TomTom GO does this, but I'm sure most of the others do as well.

The TomTom GO (classic/500/700) has got built in motion sensors so if it loses the GPS signal, can still direct you.

I've had one for over a year now, I wouldn't say it was shit :eek:, in fact for the money, and taking into account the free downloadable speed camera database, I'd say it was one of the best around.

I did try a MIO 268 a little while back, not a patch on the TomTom in my opinion.

i have the Alpine IVA 310 with GPS satnav type system added on.

the reason, my local 'ICE' shop said that the Avic X1R (that i originally wanted) had a narrower redirection band

this apparently meant that on long journeys, say sheffield to london, its only redirecting 2 miles either side of the M1. in the event of diversions, it can apparently take a miute or two to redirect. so i went for the alpine unit, which is also very nice and has come down in price too

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/3517.html

or monitor unit alone....

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/3515.html