The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wheel and tyre size..... again?

Lucifer

CW comment would be nice here.

Ok, I need to start looking at which wheels and tyres I need.

I like keeping the car as geometrically standard as possable, but now having purchased a big brake kit on the front, im gonna have to go to 18's!

I still want to be able to put the power down, do some drifting etc..... anyone know a proved combonation? Rubber bands = not keen.

cheers.

Don't make the mistake of over tyring the car, unless drag racing is king you need to be able to get the car "dancing" on a circuit. OK, if you have downforce like a "proper" race car, you can use a lot of rubber, but a road car, albeit modded and used on track days needs balance, and overtyring can kill this, grip may increase, but handling, in the truest sense, will probably disappear. You don't need more than 275's on the back, and maybe 245 on the front. As an example my 2WD Skyline runs 265 rears and 235 fronts. I consider it may handle better on narrower rubber still, myself. You also need to consider that the wider you go the lower the tyrewall profile needs to become, and the suspension kinematics of the MKIV means it does not like, nor can it properly use, sections lower than 40% The camber change is such that it NEEDS some sidewall flex otherwise it lifts part of the tread in roll.

I am having some different MKIV springs made, to provide a kit for the more dedicated track day addict, if you don't mind a stiff ride I will be doing a series of 3 different packages in the New Year.

I have a set of AP water cooled six pot calipers here, with pump, lines and reservoir, to make an awesome front package up, great "pub talk" value too, "I have got water cooled calipers from a BTCC Mondeo on my *****" ;)

Isn't there something about pressure as well, where if you go to a wider tyre you lower the pressure on the contact patch because the surface area is higher and therefore don't actually get x% more grip with x% more rubber...? Or something like that :)

Water cooled brakes. Yum. How geeky and futile on a road car - I want them :D

-Ian