The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Thor DSC & TSD work on VVTi?

Pete

well, it's a bit of yes and no i'm afraid..................

I've got the vvti tiptronic and the thor unit fitted, it does remove the speed limiter, however it buggers up the traction control (so you have to switch it off every time you get in the car) and because these cars have an integrated ECU for the engine & gearbox it won't change into top gear at WOT........worse still if you are doing say 130 and floor it, it will change down into the revlimiter.......

if you can find someone who can properly sort the ECU....please....please let me know

cheers

mark

• 8 months later...

Right. This is really pissing me off now.

Coming back tonight I was approaching 150leptons and gave it a bit more throttle to see what it'd do top speed (wide open empty straight motorway so only myself to kill/mame/injure).

What happened? Bloody car tried to dropped out of gear that's what! I backed off the accelerator immediately and it put itself right. I don't think it dropped a gear as it didn't lurch or slow much, more like it went to neutral and maybe something in the gearbox so "hang on, this is gonna hurt" and didn't actually engage a lower gear.

I never did get around to buying a Thor unit as people said it did the same thing.

There has to be some way round this!? (Other than driving slower)

excuse my ignorance but what triggers the downshift? i understand the ecu thinks its slow enough to kick down but what circumstances/inputs cause it, its not the kick down switch under the accelerator pedal like us regular auto chaps is it? is it related to 100% throttle via the VVTi's fly by wire throttle thingy?

excuse my ignorance but what triggers the downshift? i understand the ecu thinks its slow enough to kick down but what circumstances/inputs cause it, its not the kick down switch under the accelerator pedal like us regular auto chaps is it? is it related to 100% throttle via the VVTi's fly by wire throttle thingy?

Not sure, I don't understand this stuff enough to diagnose it which infuriates me. If there was a manual I would read up on it and dedicate some time to the cause, but finding one is not going to happen this side of doomsday.

What de-limiter do you currently have Pete?

Been meaning to try that Speedm8 on my Aristo...

Gaz.

I think that's my next plan - get one of those Speedm8 jobbies after my hols. If only they'd answer my email :(

Are you thinking of signing up for the reseller kit so you get the software and leads? Could perhaps get one through you then to help you meet the min order qty?

The convertor is an unbranded one so I don't trust it anyway. The TSD is an HKS SLDII.

Problem is it's not something you can test very easily at those speeds.

(keeping an eye on this thread with interest while those more knowledgeable sort it out...)

It doesn't prove too much of a hassle as there's not many places you can go WOT in top, but it's about the only thing I don't like about the tip.

Interesting.

It would have to be a relay though right, as you have an input and output, switch would connect to that.

Gaz.

That's IF there's a switch. As suggested, it might all be controlled by the Throttle By Wire electronic system.

I'm wiith pete on this one, it really pi$$es me off when you try and give it WOT past 112mph :( trouble is with a car like this that sort of speed comes round soooo easily !!!! and if you are in the habit of taking on bikes you need WOT all the way past 150 leptons :)

I would doubt the kickdown is just of a switch, the VVTi has some sort of accelerator pedel position transducer I'm guessing it uses this plus engine speed, actual car speed etc.......

I even thought of trying to get in touch with Denso to see if they could supply me with a new ECU without the speed limiter............bet that would be a fair old price :(

can someone pleeeese sort this out!!!!

• 1 month later...
What de-limiter do you currently have Pete?

Been meaning to try that Speedm8 on my Aristo...

Gaz.

I bought one of these Speedm8s today. I'll let you know if it works ok.

Speaking to the guy there he seemed very clued up and answered all my questions on 1:1 signals, g/boxes, trac flashing etc and knew about all the issues having had a customer with one and spent sometime tailoring the firmware for it.

He couldn't comment on the gear dropping down as he's "not been that fast in one!" and suggested if it was to do with the ECU becoming comfused by the capped speed signal it gets thinking it's safe to drop a gear then there's no way round that other than ECU replacement.

It's about a third cheaper than Thors so we'll se how it goes.

To be honest, I'm thinking maybe I ought to re limit the car for my own safety and license!!

well, it's a bit of yes and no i'm afraid..................

I've got the vvti tiptronic and the thor unit fitted, it does remove the speed limiter, however it buggers up the traction control (so you have to switch it off every time you get in the car) and because these cars have an integrated ECU for the engine & gearbox it won't change into top gear at WOT........worse still if you are doing say 130 and floor it, it will change down into the revlimiter.......

if you can find someone who can properly sort the ECU....please....please let me know

cheers

mark

I wish i had seen this thread earlier, it would have saved me a big headache as i had this problem which was limiting my car to 2300rpm, only figured out on Sunday that all i needed to do was switch the RLTC off to sort it

My question to them :

I think the gearbox/Trac Control require a 1:1 speed signal to operate correctly? Is that what this system does?

Reply :

2: The Gearing / Traction control is all controlled in the engine ECU, along with the road speed limit. The SpeedM8 unit maintains these signals as original until the vehicle speed exceeds approx. 105 MPH, then the output is locked until the speed decreases below the lock point.

So what was the need for the 1:1 signal in Pete Betts' solution?