The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Goodyear poor life

Piran

I put a couple of Goodyear F1s on the back of my Supra a few months ago, I have now done 5000Km (about 3000miles) and they are completely slick - now I don't drive particularly harshly and this has caught me completely by surprise, what sort of life are people getting from F1s ?

Originally posted by Piran

I had Kumho tyres on before (new on when I bought the car) and switched to Goodyear partly because they Kumho didn't last very long about 4000miles.

what would cause the car to be particularly heavy on rear tyres ?

Wheel spin and hard driving

Theres definatly something wrong here.

I had Kumho's on my car, new when I bought the car and I got 11,000 miles out of them. In fact they were only just touching the wear markers on the best part of the tread but had worna bit more on the inside edges.

I then changed to Goodyear F1's and since the change, I've covered 5,000 miles and they still have plenty of tread left on them.

More importantly, I do drive the car quite hard and still get a respectable milage from them.

Are your tyres wearing all over or just the edges - Worth getting your geometry checked?

the wear is even across the tyres and it's both rear tyres althought the pasenger side is slightly worse (no tread at all) than the drivers side (.5mm)

I hadn't even thought about checking for tyre wear this early and so hadn't noticed them go ! it's only in the last week that I noticed the grip getting really poor - and now I know why

The suspension has been lowered and stiffened so I don't know whether this could throw things out ? and it's got stock traction control which has kicked in about 5 times since I owned the car....

It really doesn't sound right - I mean we're into motorcylce territory for tyres here ! and I can't afford to replace tyres every 3months !

Stock TC on a Jap spec cuts in at about 13% slip. Anything below that and the system wont react. So you may be spinning more than you think. When using RLTC in monitor mode you would be surprised to see how much low level slip you get in relatively normal driving. That still does not explain why yours have gone off so fast, because most of us would get some unnoticed slip.

The only tyres I have heard of going that quickly were Yoko's

11 junctions is a great deal each way every day :)

If you have a limited slip diff, every junction will cause the inner wheel to chirp a bit as it's trying to move as fast as the outer wheel - obviously this causes wear on the tyre. Doing it over one hundred times a week is going to take some sort of a toll in the medium term, I would have thought.

This isn't scientifically proven, it's just the only reasonable explanation I can think of for the rapid wear of the rear tyres. If the junctions are pretty evenly balanced left and right the wear should be similar.

-Ian

Are you sure you wrote down the right mileage when they were

fitted :D

I agree with the more left n right turns the more you wear your tyres but find it hard to believe 3000 miles compared to my 11,000 miles on the same rubber, my journeys day to day involve , more than 11 junctions, 10 miles of M way and quite a few miles on country rds that have seen better days.

Perhaps your F1's are really a set of race wets :)

Nope definitely got Goodyear Eagle F1 Gs-D3, and I was concerned about only getting 4000 miles off the original Kumhos so I set the tripmeter etc. definitely got about 3000 out of these and am concerned that there might be something else wrong to put this much wear on - have just ordered some Kumho replacemnets as it'll give me a few extra weeks of life in the tyres !

Originally posted by Piran

Nope definitely got Goodyear Eagle F1 Gs-D3, and I was concerned about only getting 4000 miles off the original Kumhos so I set the tripmeter etc. definitely got about 3000 out of these and am concerned that there might be something else wrong to put this much wear on - have just ordered some Kumho replacemnets as it'll give me a few extra weeks of life in the tyres !

Dont wish to sound like im taking the p, but they are fitted in the correct rotational direction aren't they ?

Im just trying to think of a reason why you got such shit mileage.

Sounds well dodgy to me, where did you get them from? Could they be knock-offs? I've had over 5,000 miles out of my rear D3s now (low, stiff car), with a fair amount of hard driving and a bit of wheelspin. I checked them for tread just the other day, since the back end kicked out accidentally for the first time since I'd bought them, but it must have just been the very cold road, cos the tyres have *loads* of tread left.