The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dash lights

Bobbeh

Had a weird issue with a row of buttons last night at the Cambridge meet, I'd left the car idling with the lighjts on for maybe 30 mins.. and when I went in to drive home I noticed the row of buttons controlling the heating were out. I thought the bulb had gone... and they were like this on the way to work this morning..

BUT to my suprise, on the way home from work tonight I turn on my lights and the bulb was lit again, so its fine.. I'm just a little :conf:

Any ideas? Was it some sort of safety thing for the bulbs?

I have the same thing with my whole heating control lights, some times they work properly, some times they are dim, sometimes some of them just dont work.

Somebody said its the connector not put back on properly but the dash was off for the SBC-ID install recently so hoped it might have been pushed back on by the installer. No such luck, so I have to pull the dash apart myself now.

JB

Hmm, it doenst appear dim. What does is the stereo front end as thats got alot of green and it sorta takes a while to get fully bright, now I'm not sure if my battery needs charging or is just knackered, but its supposed to be fairly new. I dont do many long journeys so I guess it doesnt get a decent charge often.

On the dash light issue, yeah, its the 3 buttons for the climate control and the OFF button, bloody hard to find in the dark! Weird, cos I was getting annoyed as I bet its a pain taking the dash apart just to replace a bulb. But now its back and working so I dunno!

Strange. :)

Might be a dry/broken solder joint on the connector socket on the PCB.

The connector plug might be fitted securely but the tracks on the PCB have broken away from the circuit board and causing the intermittent or permenant fault.

I have seen this 2 or 3 times now on other Supras, and my own.

Nothing unusual really due to the amount of times the dash gets taken apart. It was never meant to have that much mechanical stress (taken apart all the time) :-)

Simple solution of taking the unit apart, cleaning and resoldering the pins on the connector socket on the PCB (printed circuit board). Why not do it when converting to blue LED's etc :-)

This also happens on the warning light cluster bit at the top with the oil warning and hazzards.

Check when you switch on the ignition that all the warning lights light up briefly.

If none light up in that section then this broken solder joint is likely to be the cause.

Of course bulbs do blow but if you see an intermitent problem, sometimes O.K. others not then this is a very likey cause.

I had the 'no-oil-lights' syndrome...

You're right, I took the rear bit off and splashed a bit of solder

over the connectors on the 'board'....

It's bin' OK since...

[it's VERY hard to control the solder using a 'household' soldering

iron - should I get an electricians one - if such a thing exists ?]

I think this is a common fault on supras

The first supra I looked at (it was a total shed and had lots of other problems )had this same problem.

I asked a guy at the local Lexus garage and he had come across this as well and had put solder on the problem areas.

so not a big problem but somthing to look for when buying a supra and could be away of talking down the price a bit

Right.. my lights are working fine now.. but I lost all heating controls, A/C and clock today! oh the joy - just what I wanted in time for winter. Also the main light for the CD autochanger!

Took it round to my mechanic m8 and hes sorted it for us. Cause - just a fuse under the dash had blown... damn Supras, unreliable crap! :D It had blown because I used a tyre pump compressor thingy to inflate my tyres...! Needed doing as 22lbs isnt good!

BTW - on my fuse hunt.. I found the TRC fuse.. it looked temping to pull it out.. but not yet young Jedi!