The mkiv Supra Owners Club

much cooler oil

uk-rich

its 235mm x 25 row big daddy ! if i were you i should really get one sorted, the oil gets a hard time in the soop, the factory water to oil cooler is piss poor, and seeing a you are single there will be even more heat for the oil to contend with, i bought it as a complete kit

• 1 year later...

I can't understand why people don't just use a thermostatic sandwich plate and leave the filter where it is. There's little enough room for the cooler, let alone finding a home for a remote filter head, as well. A lot of the off the shelf kits use 5/8 bore hose, which, IMO, is too restrictive for a 3 litre turbo engine with it's serious oil pump flow. I would always suggest you use 3/4 hose and fittings (-12) with a cooler with the appropriate size unions to match. I even had one Supra in with 1/2 lines and fittings, with a big end knock, needless to say :(

ftp://ftp.chriswilson.tv/Skyline_Stuff/skyline_oil_cooler

Nice thing about Skylines is there's loads of room for stuff like that!

How much of a problem IS the oil filter on the 2JZ-GTE? People always complain about the difficult access to the oil filter on the 1JZ, but it's easy if you use one of those big square-drive sockets which fits over the end of the filter.

No problem at all from underneath, and only a minor hassle from above, with the PAS fluid resrevoir moved to one side.

I'm not 100% sure that you need an oil cooler. I can't think of anyone who has actually measured oil temps and found them to be a problem. Remember having oil that is too cool can be a problem too.

I'm going to measure mine when it's all together, and then if it's a problem (over 130degs for example) I'll look at fitting an oil cooler.

The thing is without knowing heat rejection figures calculating the right size of oil cooler is tricky so you end up just using trial and error. :(

My TT, on track days, running 1.2 bar de catted, with aftermarket cat back exhaust, water injection and FCD, but otherwise bone stock, ran very high engine oil temps, on track, in hot weather. 130 was as far as I let it get without a rest, but that was a good 15 minutes around a proper race track, as hard as i could pedal the thing. They could really do with a decent size cooler for track days, but on the road the stock set up is good enough in the UK, IMO, unless you have serious engine mods. After all, how long are you on full throttle though all the gears on the road? Not 15 minutes, that's for sure.

in the past I have worked on some large machinery and oil science is really complicated. The weight and specification of oil is closely matched to the engine spec with tolerances built in. It is true that when we change the state of tune temps change too. As long as the thermostat controlling the work load of the cooler is matched carefully then the cooler should only work when needed and not continually once engine normal temp is reached. Oil kept too cool is detrimental to it's performance and efficiency of the engine.:)

• 1 month later...

Thanks Chris, I'll get in touch with them as they're only 40 mins from me.

I wonder if their parts are 3/4 all the way through, or if they just fit 3/4 pipe unions on a 'standard' casting. If this is the case the system would still be restricted through the body of the take-off plate.

I imagine this would negate the benefit of 3/4 bore pipes etc?