The mkiv Supra Owners Club

much cooler oil

uk-rich

Because the oil will tend to drain out of the oil filter when the engine is stopped.

You want the oil filter to be FULL the moment you start the engine, otherwise the turbo bearings will be fed bubbles during the time it takes to fill the oilfilter (several seconds). This leaves light scar marks on the turbo shaft, and the more times it happens, the deeper the scars get. It is non-reversible damage.

The manufacturer has the oil filter at an angle for a reason. ;-)

OK so the next logical step from that is the assumption that the filter should be as close to the bottom of the sump as possible too, so that the oil won't drain out of the pipes leading to the filter...

Plus the term 'upright' was slightly confusing too, as that could mean upside down or right side up, but still vertical...

So...good locations anyone??? I'm thinking of the gap under the passenger headlight - just drop the undertray to access...

I can't understand why people don't just use a thermostatic sandwich plate and leave the filter where it is. There's little enough room for the cooler, let alone finding a home for a remote filter head, as well. A lot of the off the shelf kits use 5/8 bore hose, which, IMO, is too restrictive for a 3 litre turbo engine with it's serious oil pump flow. I would always suggest you use 3/4 hose and fittings (-12) with a cooler with the appropriate size unions to match. I even had one Supra in with 1/2 lines and fittings, with a big end knock, needless to say :(

ftp://ftp.chriswilson.tv/Skyline_Stuff/skyline_oil_cooler

Nice thing about Skylines is there's loads of room for stuff like that!

FWIW, I just measured the lines on my HKS kit: -12

I don't know the internal bore - I read the wiki page about AN sizes and apparently it's all down to the OD (ouside diameter) which in this case is 3/4". They appear to be standard aeroquip armoured lines though, so whatever they are spec'd as.

I don't know the internal bore - I read the wiki page about AN sizes and apparently it's all down to the OD (ouside diameter) which in this case is 3/4". They appear to be standard aeroquip armoured lines though, so whatever they are spec'd as.

Thanks for the info Ark.

If the OD is 3/4, the bore's likely to be about 5/8.

I'm not 100% sure that you need an oil cooler. I can't think of anyone who has actually measured oil temps and found them to be a problem.

i had a few occasions last summer where a cooler would have been usefull on stinkin hot days as the oil was cooking and i had to slow down to keep the temps reasonable which is totally unaceptable lol, as long as the cooler is thermostatically controlled i see it as a benefit (mines in the garage waiting to be fitted)

i had a few occasions last summer where a cooler would have been usefull on stinkin hot days as the oil was cooking and i had to slow down to keep the temps reasonable which is totally unaceptable lol, as long as the cooler is thermostatically controlled i see it as a benefit (mines in the garage waiting to be fitted)

I'd agree with TL that a cooler is probably not required. I'd also agree that if you've got a stat in the system you can't really go wrong as you shouldn't run too cool.

The reason I'm contemplating one is it will help the engine coolant by removing the heat input from the oil. The same reason I'm thinking of a tranny cooler too.

I'd agree with TL that a cooler is probably not required. I'd also agree that if you've got a stat in the system you can't really go wrong as you shouldn't run too cool.

The reason I'm contemplating one is it will help the engine coolant by removing the heat input from the oil. The same reason I'm thinking of a tranny cooler too.

any thing that keeps the engine cooler is defo a good thing, and what ever people say YOU do need an oil cooler sometimes at above BPU power levels, one of the first mods i would recomend to a noob going BPU is to fit an oil temp gauge not pr***ing about with turbo timers

any thing that keeps the engine cooler is defo a good thing, and what ever people say YOU do need an oil cooler sometimes at above BPU power levels, one of the first mods i would recomend to a noob going BPU is to fit an oil temp gauge not pr***ing about with turbo timers

We're in agreement on that then. My gauges are coming together, closely followed by decats etc.

I want to 'baseline' my temps before upping the power.:)

• 11 months later...
Guest TeCKis300

Now how many of you that have high oil temps run a full size intercooler that covers the full grill?

Oil and water temp go hand in hand. High water temps will make the stock oil to water cooler more inefficient.