The mkiv Supra Owners Club

going nuts !! car keeps stalling

paul mac

really hope someone can help with this as its driving me insane, car is a j-spec auto single turbo, safc, itc, fse, 550's, basically when pulling away from a standing start at a medium throttle and at about 2500 rpm (not wot and not granny speed) the car just dies then if i'me lucky picks up again after about 3-5 seconds and runs normally, a couple of times the engine has cut out completely, theres no drama, no miss-fires, just silence, the car has run great since it was set up about a month ago :help: but now this grrrrr

O2 sensor?

AFC not set up right around these revs?

Do you have fuel pressure gauge?

Take it back and get it dyno'ed again mate and see if it is dropping off?

thanks for the quick response paul, thing is the car has been running fine for a month, i thought safc straight away but disconected the pressure side taking it out of circuit but with no result, i am defo thinking along the lines off fuel cut cos if the fuel didnt cut and it was an ignition problem this would cause popping and banging when the engine sprung back to life right ? 02 sensor i cleaned it in a mild acid solution but if its buggered no amout of cleaning will help will it, i'll do a search on testing it thanks paul

Hmmm......sounds a little like my NIGHTMARE at the mo. Mine is hitting hard fuel cut at around 3000rpm, but ONLY at standstill. It bounces between 2500-3000rpm when powerbraking, but is fine once moving.

Matt H looked at it at Bovingdon and we datalogged the RLTC (which seemed ok) but even he was flumoxed by this.

Hmmm......sounds a little like my NIGHTMARE at the mo. Mine is hitting hard fuel cut at around 3000rpm, but ONLY at standstill. It bounces between 2500-3000rpm when powerbraking, but is fine once moving.

Matt H looked at it at Bovingdon and we datalogged the RLTC (which seemed ok) but even he was flumoxed by this.

Both running the same S-AFC and ITC?

Any conflict of wiring etc?

Crank/cam sensor gone awol?

Have you tried resetting the ECU...mad I know but it maybe that it's trying to do something it shouldn't at those RPM's...clearing it might help. (disconnect the battery to make 100% sure it's reset)

I'sd also try turning the ITC off....the eManage has a "thing" about ignition timing and can kill the engine if you don't wire it up properly.

thanks for the help boys i'me touched :cry: b'have it sounds we have got something simalar, Alex is there any way of testing the crank sensor would it throw up a fault code ? tried the old battery off gag but to no avail, Paul E if it is a conflict between the safc and the itc i'll take them off and run them over on the drive lol and then tell Ian C he was right all along and buy an e-manage

Loosing sleep over this now! Tried to load fuel via the afc at that point, but has no effect. Mine s definately hard fuel cut (no misfire) and is definately speed related, as it only happens at standstil and

Really pisses me off coz the apart from this, the car is running the best ever and fueling is pretty good throughout.

RESULT - i'll apologise now to Apexi for doubting the SAFC and the ITC its the bloody RLTC, disconected the rltc via the injector install plugs taking it out of circuit and burned about £10 of optimax on the local industrial estate and it has'nt done it once, i'me going to get the lap top rigged up tommorow and have a look at the dat file, or failing that borrow the control unit off my mate and see if thats the problem, i'll update this thread when i know for definate whats happening as theres quite a few of us with RLTC

Charlie - what you reckon...possibly your RLTC as well?

how hard is it to disconnect the RLTC? may be worth a go if not to hard.

If ya need a hand mate with anything u know where i am

if its been installed with the RL supplied plugs its a pieces of p**s to do this mate, might be worth doing to prove one way or the other, a word of warning though i havent driven the car without RLTC for about 2 1/2 years and during my testing COMPLETELY lost the back end but avoided the kirb by about 2mm so no harm done

it sounds like mine sort of. when i had tc fitted on powerbraking it would go to 3000rpm then drop revs to zero then back to 3000rpm then drop again.

got a new tc and it was fine. dont know if its same thing as you

my auto has stalled a couple of times in macdonalds and under hard braking. wasnt it something to do with type of bovs?

If you can withstand my input for a moment :) I actually experienced this myself, at low speeds under some circumstances the engine would die completely - not miss injector pulses, or misfire ignition events, but nothing. Miraculously it'd then start going again. Another manifestation was the feeling of soft cut at a certain point in the rev range while accelerating gently - most odd.

I sort of went over some of this in Charlie's last thread on it but apparently his RLTC install is 5 years old now and it's only just started doing it. Charlie - you *have* checked the settings on the RLTC unit haven't you? And made sure they haven't changed/reset to defaults...?

I can only say what I did in an effort to cure it, and the fact that it worked - I haven't had the big miss since, not once. I focussed on the RLTC as I pretty much knew it wasn't going to be anything else - it was big injector cut stuff and soft cut stuff and it seemed to mainly happen when:

a) I was around 2000 to 2300rpm

b) 1st and 2nd gear - very low road speed

The hard cut symptom would be turning sharply out of a junction in 1st. The soft cut symptom would be in a straight line.

So - figuring it was the racelogic, I did this:

1) When to an industrial estate and performed the calibration by the book. You know, the big 180deg turn. This gave me exactly the same numbers as I already had in the unit, so I doubt it had an effect.

2) The soft cut appeared to happen at 2250rpm, exactly where my min RPM threshold was set. I changed this to 2000rpm in case the RLTC code didn't like dealing in 50's.

3) I changed the Min Diff Dry to 6.50km/h from 3.50, and the Min Diff Wet to 4.50km/h from 2.50

4) I changed the minimum speed threshold from 14km/h to 16km/h

The RLTC still works - it has held dry acceleration in a straight line in 2nd gear, some crazy 2nd gear while turning at TOTB4, and 3rd gear in the wet. But it hasn't done this hissy fit since these changes were made at the start of August and believe me, if there was still a problem it would have by now.

I think pulling out of junctions confused it deeply when the inner wheel barely moved and the outer one was going quite rapidly, and it initiated the hard cut, causing the engine to die for a moment. What the hell made it soft cut in a straight line I do not know.

-Ian

Edit to say - probably not relevant to your problem Charlie, and if Matt has looked at the unit then your settings are probably intact... I got hard cut at a set rev range when I tried to advance the ignition timing and the wiring was all wrong, but it's probably not that either - what's your ITC settings at?

Ian that lot helps immensely and really does sound exactly the same as my problem, i feel very humble Ian that you would post up after my red wine induced verbal rants on the e-manage issue i will learn to keep my trap shut and respect other peoples views, unreservedly :thanks:

Well, admittedly I had got the arse with you but then you said "theres quite a few of us with RLTC"... It being a life-saving bit of kit I figured trying to help make sure it worked properly for people was far, far more important than childishly keeping quiet and watching you stew, so there you go :woot: I just hope it helps you out :thumbs:

No hard feelings ;)

-Ian

Well, admittedly I had got the arse with you but then you said "theres quite a few of us with RLTC"... It being a life-saving bit of kit I figured trying to help make sure it worked properly for people was far, far more important than childishly keeping quiet and watching you stew, so there you go :woot: I just hope it helps you out :thumbs:

No hard feelings ;)

-Ian

thanks Ian if we ever meet up i owe you a pint or 2, hope charlie gets his soughted

Thanks Guys, Having pulled my back changing my wheels after Bovingdon, haven't had a chance to look further, but I have a sneaky feeling its definately RLTC related, even though the datalog looked ok.

I remember having an issue with the original rltc connectors a few months ago and removed one completely and hard wired it.

Soon as I my back allows some footwell diving I will be on it!

Many many thanks guys for your feedback.

I remember

Charlie, I'm still not convinced it's anything to do with RLTC. The datalog was perfect, (although I appreciete electrical things can have their moments!). Still the only way of being 100% certain, is to bypass the injector cuts.

Mig suggested getting your autobox line pressures checked, in case the ECU has some way of 'protecting' if the pressures get too high?

I've no idea if it's possible, but your problem is ONLY while powerbraking or launching.

When yours cuts, there is no individual injector cut. It's total fuel cut but only for a few hundred RPM :conf: