The mkiv Supra Owners Club

help with warning lights

iainc

please help.

Whilst driving at about 65-70 i get my engine managment light and warning triangle coming on and staying on also the o/d light starts flashing the lights stay on till i turn engine off. As soon as i start driving again and get 2 those speeds again they come back on and stay on.

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP.

I have the same problem with my o/d light flashing. Just done a fault reading as described, but the Mil exclamation mark doesn't flash! The 'ecu' warning light however does flash constantly. A little help please!!

Yeah, it's the engine warning light that flashes, the FAQ may be a bit ambiguous but you figured it out :) That means no stored codes. I have no experience with the autobox :(

-Ian

Yeah the actual o/d works fine. Clearly changes up and down as you switch the button. Changes up to forth fine, Light stays on as it should when o/d is off, but when its on the light flashes like a pervert in a rain coat! Drivin me nuts!! :banghead:

Speed sensor, dodgy speed convertor/top speed delimiter wiring, light lights up the first time you give it some beans, yes?

Don't even have to look that one up any more ;)

-Ian

Ian.

I got a new THOR converter fitted and am getting the same problem. Only issue is that it is intermittent, so there is no way for me to pin point exactly whether it is going to happen the next time I go over 60-65mph for example, the last time the triangle and engine light lit up was a week ago.

Whats the best way to troubleshoot these types of issues.

Regards

I'll jump in at this point. I've been working this problem for some time. By working, I mean gathering information. The wrenching will start this week with a THOR SLD, I hope!

First off, is the car an auto? As Ian mentioned, if you have a code 42, several things can be the fault. Here is the list I have compiled so far: dodgy wiring at ECU caused by Speed Delimiter or Speedo conversion installation, faulty/old solder points on back of odometer. I've also heard that the wiring at the back of the speedo could be the fault. I'm thinking that a turbo timer which sh*t the bed may be my cause. I've yet to hear however that the speed sensor itself was to fault.

Do you have always-light-steering or have you had any issues with cruise control or the active front spoiler? These are all speed-sensitive devices and subject to problems due to this code.

Ian C, if you tell me how to post links to other threads, I can pass on those links that I've compiled regarding this fault.

Hope this helps fellas. Feel free to ask questions and share with us your resulting fix actions as you troubleshoot.

I had a problem concerning "code 42" which had me pulling my hair out for ages.

Initial symptoms were:

a) Active spoiler light flashing and spoiler not dropping when it should.

b) Engine management light coming on after hitting 60mph.

Which progressed to:

c) O/D light flashing intermittently.

d) Gearbox intermittently giving up the ghost until speeds of less than 10mph were reached then limp home mode - couple of occasions via low loader.

Final solution for me was:

Contacted Emin, who came over and like me could not find the converter but as a guess tried the 'bypass a bit of circuitry in the odo' job and all the listed problems have since vanished. :) :) ....auto btw

Yeah the actual o/d works fine. Clearly changes up and down as you switch the button. Changes up to forth fine, Light stays on as it should when o/d is off, but when its on the light flashes like a pervert in a rain coat! Drivin me nuts!! :banghead:

I'm no expert but is the Traction Control light flashing aswell. There is a connection on the throttle body (black) that controls TC and can sometimes work itself lose. Try unscrewing it and put it back in place reset the ECU and see if that makes a difference

Contacted Emin, who came over and like me could not find the converter but as a guess tried the 'bypass a bit of circuitry in the odo' job and all the listed problems have since vanished. :) :) ....auto btw

Bypasses a bit of circuitry?? does your ODO still read in miles???