The mkiv Supra Owners Club

help with warning lights

iainc

I know stevie_b had the same issue on his manual NA, and I gave him a spare odo which seemed to solve the problem...

Apart from that he didn't have any other issues other than the code 42...

Gav

Like the man says, I had a code 42 error which is now solved.

Sorry if this is a bit simplistic to those experienced members, but I thought I'd make it as complete as possible.

First of all, code 42 errors are very common. It is almost always NOT the speed sensor itself that needs replacing.

The speed signal comes from the speed sensor, and goes (via a speed converter unit if one is fitted) to the speedo. It then gets passed from the speedo to the odometer unit. It gets buffered here for a bit, then gets passed to the ECU. I can't remember when the Progresive Power Steering (PPS) system gets the signal, but I think it's probably after it gets spat out of the odo.

> Does your speedo work? If not, the signal's falling over at the first hurdle.

> Does your odometer count up OK? If not, the the signal doesn't get from the speedo to the odometer.

If you can, try a new odometer unit temporarily. If the error goes away, the odo unit is at fault. This could be 1) solder joints gone bad, or 2) a problem with the speed buffering circuit in the odo unit. I'm pretty sure that the wiring instructions of the Thor unit bypass the buffer circuit, so even if the buffer circuit is dead, the problem is cured.

I know what you're thinking: "the buffer circuit is there for a reason". I thought the same. Well, I don't know anyone who has had problems due to bypassing it.

I'll try and dig up some useful links from Pete Betts' website.

Steve