The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Boost problem

adi2009

Hi,

Now, i ve noticed that my NA-TT swap is not boosting properly and surely there is no kick from the second turbo. I have never driven a TT b fore so do not know how they are supposed to feel. THe car has great torque in lower revs but has no power in higher rpm's. Just going to get a boost gauge fitted today and will be checking all the vaccum lines. Recently i replaced the IACV vsv and the EGBV vsv. Is there any particular way that i can test the EGBV and the IACV actuators. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

adi

If you are running the stock SEQ system, you should notice/hear the first turbo start spooling at around 1500RPM and then a further kick in power at around 4000RPM.

Is this your situation? Or things not happening like this?

On my stock auto TT I get 12psi of boost on no1 then drops back during transition and rises to about 14psi when no2 comes on line depending on what gear i'm in.

ie 2nd gear 12psi with both on line

3rd gear 14psi with both on line (don't know why that is?)

If it makes you feel better I had a similar problem to this.

I bought my car not really knowing how fast they felt as i'd never been in a tt before. After getting absolutely creamed by a BMW M3 i was convinced it wasn't working properly so i took it to a place that had a rolling road. Clearly there was a problem with my 2nd turbo not kicking in.

Not sure exactly what the mechanic done but he unpopped one of the pipes and plugged in what i can only describe as a turkey baister with a gauge on it. As one guy accelerated on the Rolling road the other manually pumped the baister which i assume opened some kinda valve (wastegate may be?) which then made the 2nd turbo kick in, my god did this put a smile on my face !! he concluded by doing this there were no problems with the turbos and therefore must be hose/pipe related in a certain area of the engine.

10 mins later they found the split pipe, as you look at the engine from the front of the car it was the one tucked away round the far back and to the right between the dash and the engine block (very hard to get to).

The whole process took less than 45 mins and cost £70. The difference was soooo amazingly better, it was as if i had a totally new car.

all i can say is i know its very frustrating and all you want to do is :cry: but persevere with it cos when you're fixed it and its running correctly all the anger and tears will be forgotten and people will think theres something wrong with you as you'll have this stupid permanent grin on your face !

Possibly boost leak. Worth getting the pipes check. I would also check the pipes running to and from the intercooler. You have a front mounted one, or stock side mounted?

Any split will cause serious power loss, and your PSI's really are low. Sounds like its leaking so much she is not building up enough pressure to open valve to start spooling the 2nd turbo.

Changed some of the vaccum lines today and set up the car in TTC mode and it is boosting to 10 psi. Found one boost leak so far but i am sure there are at least a couple more. Looks like i will be able to get the boost thing sorted out!!! Cheers for all your help :thanks:

I am still having idling problems though: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=42163

Changed some of the vaccum lines today and set up the car in TTC mode and it is boosting to 10 psi. Found one boost leak so far but i am sure there are at least a couple more. Looks like i will be able to get the boost thing sorted out!!! Cheers for all your help :thanks:

I am still having idling problems though: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=42163

could this not be causing the problem with boost some how ? just thinking out loud.

Also is it worth resetting the ecu ?

where abouts was the leak coming from that you've found ?