The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine swap on my supra!!!

adi2009

I have finally almost completed my engine swap on my J-spec NA to a J-spec TT. i have attached some pictures of my car undergoing the engine swap. we started the engine and it ran!!! with a couple of problems. the engine isnt idling very well at the moment and we did a test drive and it seemed as if the second turbo wasnt coming online. this could probably be due to old vaccum lines, which need changing.

I had got the TT engine from malaysia and it was probably out of a Toyota Aristo as the sump was completely different from the supra's. due to this i had to use the NA's sump and drill and fit a flange to support the turbo oil return line. Aristo's only came in automatic transmission and the engine wiring loom was very different from that of the supra so i got hold of a J-spec 6spd supra's ECU and wiring loom and have fitted it.

I shall update the pics soon and keep you'll updated!!!

Edit: The NA's Tachometer does not work with the TT engine.

Swap1.jpg

swap3.jpg

swap4.jpg

swap5.jpg

swap2.jpg

swap6.jpg

• 2 months later...
what all did you have to change like rear end wise?

I m gonna try answering your question from what i understand of it. Right now, the car is running with the 5spd gearbox and differential from the NA engine. I have only changed the engine and have not done anything to the drivetrain. However, I have a 6spd box and the LSD rear end which i recently got and hope to install them soon.

I paid approx 2500 USD (for complete motor with auto tranny) + 800 USD (shipping to India). However after this i bought a V161 transmission and LSD diff from the UK and had to get small bits here and there. However, i strongly advise anyone NOT to buy engines from the South East Asia unless you have inspected it or have someone you know inspect it, the reason being that my engine came with some broken sensors and the company did not respond after payment but luckily, i atleast received the engine but after about 6 months from payment (not exaggerating). Basically i had a hard time sourcing small bits i needed like the wiring loom etc.

so the 2jzge tranny will bolt right up to the drivetrain

Do you mean to the engine???

If so, then yes they bolt right up. Currently i have the stock clutch on the engine but its just a matter of time till that gives way, but will have the Getrag inplace b'fore that. If you are planning to stick with the 5spd gearbox then get the 'RPS max' pressure plate. http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templates/frmTemplateH.asp?SubFolderID=780&SearchYN=N

Also, you will need to use the flywheel from the NA engine in order to use the 5spd box.

Guest my93supra
Do you mean to the engine???

If so, then yes they bolt right up. Currently i have the stock clutch on the engine but its just a matter of time till that gives way, but will have the Getrag inplace b'fore that. If you are planning to stick with the 5spd gearbox then get the 'RPS max' pressure plate. http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templates/frmTemplateH.asp?SubFolderID=780&SearchYN=N

Also, you will need to use the flywheel from the NA engine in order to use the 5spd box.

well i have a automatic tranny

The automatic tranny from the non-turbo car will also bolt straight up to the twin turbo engine. However, i am not too sure on how much power the non-turbo's auto tranny can handle. In my opinion, the best option in that case might be to upgrade to a Twin turbo's auto transmission, but someone with more experience with auto's might be able to help u more.

Hey adi is that the wiring loom and ecu I sent out?

Hi Brian. How are you doin mate!!! Yes, that is the wiring loom, 6spd ECU and Throttle ECU that you sent me. I was in desperate need of that, i couldnt find a J-spec wiring loom for a long time. Thanks a million for that :thumbs:

Adi

• 3 months later...

All the parts are working mate! but had some minor problems with the wiring harness, couple of wires connecting to the connectors near the ECU were loose so had some idling issues etc. but just recently figured out that it was due to loose connectors and managed to fix them, wasnt a big deal though, just took a while to figure it out. I guess these things can be expected since our cars are becoming old now. Appreciate your concern!!!

Cheers