The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Headlight Bulbs, help please?

MichaelG

Hi folks

Can someone please give me a definite answer as to what type of bulbs are in my 1993 MKIV J-Spec N/A please ?

I am planning on changing all the bulbs to LED Type, but need to know the bulb types to compare. I changed the bulbs for some similar items on my 1993 TT J-Spec a few years ago, and remember vaguely a problem that a standard H4 or H7 bulb whatever it is, didnt fit properly in the socket on a J-Spec as it was slightly different.

So...............for dipped headlight / sidelight and main beam, what are all the bulb types that i need, H1/H4/H7 ?!?!? And will standard UK Spec bulbs from any bulb retailer fit or do i need different ones ?

I am assuming the sidelight bulbs are just simple T10 Small wedge type bulbs ?

Thanks in advance

Michael

The driving/fog lamps are H3? I think (the one with the tail on it - fairly sure it's H3). Side lamps are T10 & I haven't got around to the headlamps yet! I changed my side lights to blue LED - looks great, but overshadowed by fog lamps. If anyone knows where you can get LED H3's (I still think!) I'd be grateful.........

I've just changed em all so I know this off hand.

For J-Spec lights you want:

Dip 9005 (HB3)

Main 9005 (HB3)

Fog H3

Side W5W?

The UK's use a 9006 (HB4) for the dips but these will not fit in the J-Spec bulb holders as the base is too big. The 9005's fit in the j-spec dip location fine but you first need to trim/file off the two little plastic locator tabs in the plug on the bulb (took me 2 minutes).

No idea on LED's though.

Originally posted by FaithStalker

be careful with your rear lights and swapping for LED's

my 93 version have the bulbe pointing directly upwards,

(i.e. vertically mounted) so when you buy LED's they are

also pointing up and they just light up half the light....

i think it changed on faelift models.

You can get right-angle LED bulbs for the rear now though. The problem is (at least with the J-spec) that the bulbs has offset bayonet fittings, not opposite ones. The only LED bulbs I can find have opposite fittings.

Apparently it does no harm to just remove one of the bayonet pins so just one fits into the offset bulb holder. It should still stay where it is I've been told. Anyone got any experience of this?

:blink: