The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Smoke from back end

dangerous brain

OK this is starting to worry me a bit. The car drives fine up to the usual old limiter speed. As soon as you start to spend any time above that speed the car starts to belch out plumes of smoke, The can't see the car behind you type of plumes.

Now I know the car overboosts a bit so have set up the boost controller to cut that down til I get a restrictor ring fitted and have been keeping the boost down manually (well with my foot by coming off the gas when it hits too high 1.1 bar). It doesn't do it at all until the car hits 130-140 indicated which due to my speed converter being really crap is actually only about 110-112. It seems to do it regardless of wether or not I use boost to get to that speed or just creep it up there slowly.

I'm thinking fuel any ideas?

Oh specs

HKS vernier pulleys and cams

walbro pump

Unsure of the type but FMIC

Full decat and straight through exhaust

Water injection system

SAFC 2 that doesnt seem to achieve much but look shiny

blitz dbc boost controller

it really could b allsorts of things without any additional

clues, but it doesnt sound very good.

why is the delimiter crap? sounds like a good place to start investigating. theres loads of info in here about how to derestrict correctly.

any overheating?

unusual noises?

power delivery feel strange or different?

loosing coolant?

loosing or using oil?

water in oil or oil in the water?

any kind of staining on the ground after parking when this has happened?

no signs of wetness in the engine bay?

have u done anything to the car before this started happening?

before really worrying, check the simple and cheap stuff like too much oil, blocked breather pipes, too much tranny fluid and look for leaks.

good luck dude.

Right yes this is "that" car. Yes this is that very snag. And yes the reason that this particular snag seemed fixed is that it appears that this problem only rears its head when you take it a bit out of the envelope, something I am guessing Roy didn't do possibly due to a lack of confidence in the car. Myself I want a car that is capable of the stick I am going to give it. As such I want it sorted. This smoke problem is a problem, I will fix it no matter what.

Chris its an Auto will this affect the gearbox leaking assesment? Water injection system is apparently an ERL one, jet size I really don't know.

I am not talking a small amount of smoke here either. I am talking sump should be empty in 50 miles amount of smoke. I am convinced its not oil. Which leaves coolant or fuel. OK it might be gearbox fluid but surely by now the gearbox would have had an epi fit and died (will check the fluid level in the morning though just to be safe) OK balls I went and did it now cos its buggin me.

The fluid in the transmission appeared to be bit on the high side but then again the car is parked on a hill with the front at the top of the hill if you see what I am saying. The fluid is red and clear so as expected. The engine oil level is middle of the range and I have done enough miles to know that I haven't been excessively burning up oil.

The coolant level is within usual parameters.

That leaves me with fuel surely??? It would be easier if I knew exactly post which mod this problem started, but due to the fact that this doesn't even materialise till well over a ton its doubtful I could associatte it with a particular mod.

If its not gona cause me any long term probs i will drain the 90% screenwash mix water injection system reservoir and give it a go from there see what happens.

Originally posted by eyefi

it really could b allsorts of things without any additional

clues, but it doesnt sound very good.

why is the delimiter crap? sounds like a good place to start investigating. theres loads of info in here about how to derestrict correctly.

any overheating?

NO

unusual noises?

NO

power delivery feel strange or different?

NO but I am a new TT owner

loosing coolant?

NO

loosing or using oil?

NO

water in oil or oil in the water?

NO

any kind of staining on the ground after parking when this has happened?

NO

no signs of wetness in the engine bay?

NO

have u done anything to the car before this started happening?

NO but I only bought the car recently

before really worrying, check the simple and cheap stuff like too much oil, blocked breather pipes, too much tranny fluid and look for leaks.

good luck dude.

Originally posted by Matt Harwood

LOL, yeah, preferably the one going to the ERL pump ;)

Should be a few inches away from the pump unit.

OK I will have a looksee at that then. to be honest though I am tempted to take it off the road for now let it be run on the dyno up at thors and see what the diagnostics there turn up.

Right I took it over to Dudes today.

He kindly pulled the plugs out and had a looksee inside. He then followed me at slightly naughty velocities and the damn thing didn't repeat the fault.

One thing we did find though is that yes it is using oil. I checked it last night and it was half way up the dipstick level, at dudes gaff it was low enough to set off the low oil level warning light albeit the car was on the cock.

So to summarise today

There is definitely no overfuelling problem the plugs indicated this.

The compression is in fact very very goodand there is no evidence of oil loss across the rings or from the top end

It was idling way way too high but the reset on the ECU when dude did the compression test has set it back to normal level.

The oil level check I did on the auto box was the wrong way totally so I will do that properly 2moro

Water injection system I have still yet to disconnect that to see if that has an affect.

This snag is very difficult to do anything about as it is only apparent at silly speeds so reproducing the fault is extremely difficult.

Originally posted by dangerous brain

something I am guessing Roy didn't do possibly due to a lack of confidence in the car.

DB - i am quite perplexed that this reared it's head again (wish i could tell you why as well). prior to selling the car - i did do a few few silly speed runs, booting from different speeds, to see if the smoke had stopped.

all i can say is that it didn't do it then (as you have mentioned, it doesn't do it all the time) but i did check with mark (phoenix) who told me that even after booting it during his test drive - the underside of the car was bone-dry.

as for the lack of confidence - well it wasn't the reason but that i rarely got out of london hence rarely needed to give it stick. it did not stem from confidence issues as i found the car performed well enough.

i sincerely hope that you find the cause of this smoke and i hope it is a minor thing.

Originally posted by Steve M

You should have bought my old red tt aero.:D :innocent:

Funny old thing thats what dude said :(

Yeah I see where you are coming from ROY it is rather difficult to actually find anywhere in this nanny state to actually run it up to that speed. I cannot reproduce the damn fault when I want to either. It must be a seal within one of the turbo's is letting oil through at some point in proceedings if the underside of the car is bone dry. I iwll get it up on a set of ramps and have it looked at when I get a restrictor ring fitted which I am going to source right now.