The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Superchipping

AJI

I've had an offer from my local Toyota garage to superchip my Supra at a lower price than usual. I've given some thought to this but never realy looked into it until now.

How many of you guys have chipped your engines?

I've been told that 30-40percent more power is available if I wanted it through chipping.

Some people say they are great but other people say they ruin MPG figures and also over stress the engine.

Originally posted by AJI

I've had an offer from my local Toyota garage to superchip my Supra at a lower price than usual. I've given some thought to this but never realy looked into it until now.

How many of you guys have chipped your engines?

I've been told that 30-40percent more power is available if I wanted it through chipping.

Some people say they are great but other people say they ruin MPG figures and also over stress the engine.

Also known as a bleed valve and boost cut controller, available for less than £100 on this BBS

Gav is right. Unless they have changed the way they chip the Supras (and I doubt they have) then they charge their standard price of £400 to do the job. It doesnt matter what car it is I believe thats what they charge. Great value on a car that is chippable, very poor on a car like the Supra which cannot be chipped. All they used to do was to fit a boost cut device and a bleed valve and send you on your way.

Better bet is to get a TRL fuel cut unit and a boost controller, and then decat the car and put a performance exhaust on (unless you have already done that).

JB

Hi AJI

My brothers company GT Services are a Superchip agent, ive asked them about chipping my uk tt mk4 and you wont get a 30 to 40% increase in power, more like 30 to 40 bhp gain not 90 bhp + !!!!!

If you want some genuine info on the superchip give them a call,

you need to speak to Tom Shepard on 01564 70 3665.

Regards

Andrew(dunk)Shaw

Black uk mk4 tt

+ HKS goodies

Hi John,

Couldn't get to speak to my brothers technicians as there out at Rockingham doing some testing on one of there M3 endurance cars.

Ive just spoke to Superchip direct and they say that they fit an

ABC unit which is basicly an Anti Boost Cut Unit and a Bleed valve,

they dont change the stock ECU chip. (or remap it)

They reckon approx 45 bhp gain low to mid range,

and approx 20-30% gain in torque low to mid range.

They seemed to think it didnt matter whether it was a uk or import car !!!!!

Cost is £511 inc vat and fitting and apart from the fitting cost would return your money if not happy.

Regards

Andrew(dunk)Shaw

Black uk tt mk4

+ HKS goodies

Thanks for that Andrew, confirms what I thought. They charge a set amount for a turbo car, so the cossies etc that can be rechipped are laughing and we tend not to get quite such a good deal.

It does seem a lot of money when you think a TRL FCD is £70 and a fish tank valve (a'la CW) is about 20p....

They probably refer to their FCD as a piggy back chip which makes it sound like its doing more than expected.

Branners... my toyota guy did say it was a piggy back chip but I am a bit curious now you've mentioned that the Supra isn't chippable.

He also said that it was re-programable and that he had just fitted one to a Celica GT4. (?!?)

He quoted something like £250 for the unit.

I don't think my insurance company will allow me to chip my car anyways.

Just had my car de-catted by Chris Wilson and he mentioned that I might need a boost controler if I ever hit fuel-cut. So I'll propbably go down that route to get more bhp.

Thanks for your replies all the same.

Originally posted by AJI

He also said that it was re-programable and that he had just fitted one to a Celica GT4. (?!?)

"re-programable" probably only in the sense that you can adjust what boost level the fuel-cut happens. Hardly programmable.

£511 is the old story of people making undue profits by relying on people's ignorance ! As per others above, you can do it for less than hundred quid by getting a TRL device, and a bleed valve is cheap and easy to fit.

• 4 years later...