The mkiv Supra Owners Club

diagnose my oil leak (video)

pistonbroke

i would change the 2 washers on the feed anyway as it looks like it could leak from the first washer...v.easy job tbh. that eliminates that then...

then check after that...the front main seal can give way under load but on idle, nothing leaks.

if it is the fms, then usually you get a spray behind the front plastic cover and also it tends to drip at the 6 o clock position onto the upper alloy sump so you should see it.

i had a customer who gave his car some beating on a track day, fms gave way and lost a lot of oil...cooled down, filled up and it didnt leak after that! 4 mths later still not a drop!

drip at the 6 o clock position onto the upper alloy sump so you should see it.

Nope no drip at 6 o'clock, just a general coating.

Not entirely convinced there IS a washer under the head of that banjo bolt....

I've been out and cleaned off the bolt, there's definitely washers on both sides of the bolt. I'm going to drop the car down and take it for a blast. I'll update with the results.

Ok, update. I went out and had another look before taking it for a test drive, and I noticed a drip of oil coming from the bigger pipe that runs down from turbo 1 to the sump. I thought it may have been something I missed on the first wipe down, but it appears to confirm that it's the location of the leak.

I had a blonde moment during this next video asking whether it's a coolant pipe.....sorry about that.

Would you chaps be kind enough to confirm what I've found before I go part number hunting.?

It should have an embossed metal gasket, flourine coated and not re usable between the flange and the sump, and a similar gasket with an additional hole for the oil FEED at the turbo end. I get them from my local Toyota parts place. It's my insistence that I replace ALL these gaskets with new that makes me a bit dearer than some, but changing these things in situ, after a leak starts, is a PITA.

All the gaskets up at the turbos have been changed when the turbos were reconditioned recently. But this drain pipe was left in situ and I'm guessing it may have been disturbed during the removal refitting process. It's the only gasket that is still original to do with the turbos.

Any chance anyone knows a part number for it?, toyodiy has no exploded diagrams anymore so its just a list of part numbers with the word gasket next to it :blink:

Edit, oh and mine have 12mm nuts fitted ;)

Hi Dan.

I had a similar oil leak after changing over my turbos, it took a while to find it but after a lot of crawling about under the car, shining of lights, and some good langauge I found that it was leaking from where the oil feed pipe joined to number two turbo.

I managed to clean it off in sittue, ran the engine for a while and it was definitely leaking from there, oil was running down the oil feed pipes ending up around the banjo where it joins the engine, around the O2 sensor, around the sump, and support framework.

I managed to tighten it up enough to stop it untill I fitted my re-ferbed turbos (which I shall do a thread about soon).

I have changed my turbos and replaced all the gaskets and torqued them all to the right amount, no leaks.

If the car is still up on ramps, get under clean everything off including around your oil feed/turbo joint (though this is not easy without taking bits off, you will need something long and thin and a good light). Run the engine for a bit and keep an eye on that area.

The number for the gaskets used between oil feed pipes and turbos is T15471 - 46010, if you do need to change these I'm afraid it's turbos out.

I hope this helps, but I hope its something simpler.

All the gaskets on the turbo feeds have been replaced. But I just went out to check anyway, they're all bone dry up there. All the oil is only down around the sump so I'm pretty sure it's that gasket for the drains to the sump.

Thanks for the part number Andy :thumbs:

Right, now why isn't Mr whiffen answering his phone.?