The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Crank Pulley Removal

Purity14

Dont shoot me down, i have searched!! :D

I have taken the main bolt out of the centre of the crank pulley.

The crank pulley stays stuck to the engine, so i put some bolts (m8 1,25) and tightened them up evenly expecting them to protrude through the other side of the pulley and in turn push the pulley away from the engine.

The reason i am posting is that the two bolt method didnt work, one of the bolts has just snapped, so i removed the other one before it suffered the same fate.:(

How can i get the crank pulley off, anyone have any ideas? :search:

if uve tried both types of pully removers i would try to heat up the pully so it wil expand slightly then with a coper hammer tap the pully while trying to leaver it away once it starts to move keep tapping and levering it should come off but dont go to heavey light taps and patience to move it

Yeah, i tried that(sort of, see post one), and broke one of the bolts(in the bolt holes), so that option isnt really avaliable anymore unforunately.

Does this mean im screwed?

I think you screwed right through the bolt hole did you not? This is the wrong way to do it. The correct way is to have a bar going across the 2 bolts and then use a third to prise it off evenly. I'm thinking that the way you have done it has caused the bolt to shear, that along with the type of bolt you used. I wouldn't say you are screwed but you have given yourself a fair bit more work.

Grim, what a ball ache.

The annoying thing is, is that the outer part of the pulley doesnt exist so i cant "pull" on anything.

Now i cant pull it using the bolt holes because i have a bolt stuck in it (snapped off)

Does anyone know what the its made out of? -

Im thinking of drilling a hole through it (sideways), and out the other side big enough for a sturdy rod of some kind to fit through and then weld a bolt to middle of it and use a bolt in the middle to extract it as previously mentioned? (with heat also)

Im thinking thats my only option... :(

Edited by Purity14
spelling (see edit history)

If you can somehow get a metal plate held over the centre bolt hole, perhaps by having a flat plate bent 90 degrees each end and then 90 degrees again to give a little tab to brace against the back of the pulley, then you can put the bolt back in, not very tight but a fair way and then pop this home made bracket over the diameter of the pulley and then from above/below you can use a 22mm open end or ratchet spanner to undo the crank bolt and it will butt up to and push on the plate now covering its exit and this force will be transferred to the rear of the pulley which should creep off as you do each spanner turn............

I have had 'games' with this job too. ;)

Because you do not need to re-use your pulley, heat, and more heat and, the 'best' available, even pull and tap, should be more than sufficient.

In the unlikely event that this and all else fails, the OEM pulley is made of aluminium, and a get out of jail card, is to go in with a disc cutter, no need to go all the way, a tap on a cold chisel will finish the job cleanly.

Have fun :)

The pulley tool previously posted will still do the trick. I don't see why it is being discounted?

All you do is put it over the top of the pulley and wind up the center one to pull it off.

If i placed it over the top of the pulley and wind up the centre, surely it needs something to grab hold of?

I have had 'games' with this job too. ;)

Because you do not need to re-use your pulley, heat, and more heat and, the 'best' available, even pull and tap, should be more than sufficient.

In the unlikely event that this and all else fails, the OEM pulley is made of aluminium, and a get out of jail card, is to go in with a disc cutter, no need to go all the way, a tap on a cold chisel will finish the job cleanly.

Have fun :)

Yes exactly, i think you have understood what i meant :p

Im going to re-evalutate in the morning and do some more head-scratching i think :cool:

If i placed it over the top of the pulley and wind up the centre, surely it needs something to grab hold of?

Not by the looks of it....

To me it looks as if you wind out the center, put the tool over the top of the pulley so that the shoe shape is behind it and then screw in the center.

Not really sure how else to explain it. The black part of the device goes behind the pulley. You can see that the center is cut out to allow it to slip over the crank and in behind the pulley wheel itself. It doesn't grab any lips or anything. You screw the center bit in against the shaft and it pulls the wheel off.

No?