The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1JZ conversion

ray007

Hi Guys

Im intending to do a 2.5TT 1jz conversion to my n/a, the engine is a third of the price of a 2jz TT and labour is cheap.

can anyone advise of the pro's and con's?

Would the loom fit straight on? the engine is from an auto so would the ECU work with a 5speed manual?

More importantly ive been told the engine will go straight onto the na 5speed gearbox? is that right or am i better off getting the engine with soarer gearbox?

Auto ECU with Manual gearbox = OK

Manual ECU in a Auto converted to manual = OK

Manual ECU with Auto gearbox= Not OK

the 1JZ will go straight onto the 5speed NA Supra box (W58)

what box is currently on the 1JZ? they rarely came manual,

but if it is manual (R154 box) use that!

the R154 box is better than the W58, but they both work

1JZ vs 2JZ - price!

you can get 1JZ everywhere, there are loads & loads of soarers,

there are hardly any 2JZ engines alone about, and if there are think their about 3k? (not sure as im yet to come across 1)

you can buy a TT soarer for a grand (their more or less all autos, and manuals are gonna be 4kish)

i was thinking of just getting a shell, and doing something similar, but think its rare jsut to find a rolling shell?

but you can get a nice kitted NA for about 3grand, then you could just do 1JZ and be sorted.

thats the tight arses way tho :) but you still have a TT Supra!

and the 1JZ is a very good engine.

Edited by Lude (see edit history)

Auto ECU with Manual gearbox = OK

Manual ECU in a Auto converted to manual = OK

Manual ECU with Auto gearbox= Not OK

the 1JZ will go straight onto the 5speed NA Supra box (W58)

what box is currently on the 1JZ? they rarely came manual,

but if it is manual (R154 box) use that!

the R154 box is better than the W58, but they both work

1JZ vs 2JZ - price!

you can get 1JZ everywhere, there are loads & loads of soarers,

there are hardly any 2JZ engines alone about, and if there are think their about 3k? (not sure as im yet to come across 1)

you can buy a TT soarer for a grand (their more or less all autos, and manuals are gonna be 4kish)

i was thinking of just getting a shell, and doing something similar, but think its rare jsut to find a rolling shell?

but you can get a nice kitted NA for about 3grand, then you could just do 1JZ and be sorted.

thats the tight arses way tho :) but you still have a TT Supra!

and the 1JZ is a very good engine.

thanks for the advice mate. ive just sold my na-tt conversion and still have my na, want to do a cheap project before i sell.

ive managed to source a complete engine+turbos+loom+ecu for around £550 compared to a supra TT engine about £1700!!! and not too much difference in power.

the engine was originally from an auto so im not buying the gearbox and using my w58.

1 more question, How easy or difficult is it to install the wiring loom? would the speedo be easy to wire up and accurate?

thanks for your help mate

ive not done it myself so im not sure.

i dont own a supra yet, but im looking into options of engines & gearboxes etc frist.

ive done a few Auto-manual conversions & NA to TT swaps,

200sx & 300zx tho.

i know the 1JZ will fit in the supra engine mounts,

there probably is a way where you combine the 2 looms together,

rarther than put the whole EFI loom, connected to the ECU, then running a 12+ supply to it, and connect to the dash.

im up for a bit of a project too, thinking automatic TT Supra, then doing W58.

or you think it cheaper to get manual NA supra, and swap engine?

i believe you use the first section from the r154 supra/soarer prop and the back half of the 2j one.

Exhaust downpipe fits straight to the original exhaust, i have a fmic on mine and thats a straight fit to.

would a supra 1st decat fit onto the 1jz - and so i would need the prop from the soarer

heres a little tip... if you go for an r154 then try and get 1 from a soarer (direct fit to mkiv chassis) unlike the mk3 where a shifter extention is needed

you will need good luck, as a very small number of Soarers came out the factory manual.

even the manual ones already in the UK, are usually ones that were converted in japan.

the 1jz has a completely different downpipe to the 2j so no a first decat won't fit, the second decat does.

so even tho they are completely different shape, they do still line up to the origonal supra exhaust still yea?

You need a couple of wiring mods to use the auto ECU. One is to kid the ECU that the auto is in neutral so that the car will start (because autos will only start in P or N).

IIRC, the other is because there's a rev limit when the 'box is in neutral.

You'll find the info on Soarer Central.

you will need good luck, as a very small number of Soarers came out the factory manual.

even the manual ones already in the UK, are usually ones that were converted in japan.

so even tho they are completely different shape, they do still line up to the origonal supra exhaust still yea?

+1 my manual soarer had been converted in japan! & i looked at another manual the only one in the uk i could find forsale at the time that was also previously an auto! very very rare!

can anyone get hold of the wiring diagrams/instructions for the auto-manual ecu installation to a 2jz?

you just have to bypass the auto inhibitor switch, easy, (i personally dont know where it is on the soarer/supra

What kind of price would it be roughly to have a 1jz bought & fitted to an n/a auto supra. Keeping it auto btw.

soarers are very cheap, a grand for a TT. just get 1 with dents all over it and no MOT, even cheaper,

rape it for the 1JZ then just scrap the rest