The mkiv Supra Owners Club

clutch choosing problems! need help fast!

adnanshah247

ok, had the clutch off the sup today and it is totally FUBAR'd!

now heres my dilema:-

1. need the clutch very quickly, so can get it fitted ready for suprapod

2. money is very tight, sold all the blood and semen from my body as well and have managed to get around £500 together

3. have a single sup approx 500hp and stock flywheel

4. drive a lot through central london, a lot of stop and go, racing puck clutches - no thanks!

after annoying good old Darryl (HOMER) for ages we have come to Southbend OFE HD Stage 3 Clutches which are very good but need some more views on it! the guy in the states said he'll charge me £512 for the clutch and delivered from the states within 3 days. (£400 -clutch £112 - shipping)

http://www.dxdracingclutches.com/

many have suggested centreforce clutches but struggling to find a uk dealer that has stock otherwise it will be near enough the same price as the SouthBend when i ask for quicker shipping.

so essentialy whats worth the money? centerforce or southbend.

IF not them then what else. please please please can you guys post up so that i can make up my mind and get something ordered in time.

Thanks folks!!! :D

Adnan

p.s. steveR before you say it, yes i know you 'told me so' :D

Edited by Homer
Added clutch type (see edit history)

having same problem quickest solution go for stock one i am getting ecu done on monday clutch disc almost gone nightmare trying to get one. heard great things bout rps and cenrtforce but delivery time at least two weeks try paul whiffen he can get uprated one forget make but can have it next day very reasonable to fit it to

This is about your best option I can find in your budget mate.

http://garagewhifbitz.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=7309&category_id=1994&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

It's a convetional plate clutch so should be well behaved in traffic. It's also rated for about 500lb of torque, so you should be ok with your single.

Best thing though is it comes from Whifbitz, so you have the credibility of Paul behind it.

This is about your best option I can find in your budget mate.

http://garagewhifbitz.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=7309&category_id=1994&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

It's a convetional plate clutch so should be well behaved in traffic. It's also rated for about 500lb of torque, so you should be ok with your single.

Best thing though is it comes from Whifbitz, so you have the credibility of Paul behind it.

Better order this today then, as paul is away on hols from the Monday for 2 weeks

Very good price. I still reckon I'll try the centerforce....

The centerforce seems to be tried and tested and as mentioned to Adnan would be the preferred choice based on feedback. However he doesn't have time on the side and no distributor could supply one in time.

That said, many of us 'old school' chaps use and still use the southbend and have had superb reliabilty from them. My old car did about 40k miles on the base TZ clutch and was fine even with the single fitted and 545bhp. The OFE one is a couple of levels above and still retains the single plate clutch mechanism, which is a huge bonus for a daily driver.

The centerforce seems to be tried and tested and as mentioned to Adnan would be the preferred choice based on feedback. However he doesn't have time on the side and no distributor could supply one in time.

That said, many of us 'old school' chaps use and still use the southbend and have had superb reliabilty from them. My old car did about 40k miles on the base TZ clutch and was fine even with the single fitted and 545bhp. The OFE one is a couple of levels above and still retains the single plate clutch mechanism, which is a huge bonus for a daily driver.

if it wasnt for Homer i dont think i would make suprapod, lets hope it arrives in time for me.

some people i spoke to in the states said that the centreforce clutch isnt recommmended because it uses crappy organic materials etc. some guys called it center-farse! hmmmmmmm

i have heard and read plenty of good reviews on the southbend so ill give it a try and give some feedback on it.

Are you fitting a new flywheels Adnan?

I think my clutch may be playing up (something is making a noise, could be the diff) and im thinking of buying one now so i dont have to wait if it fails, im in two minds what to do, love the rps street max i have now and its taken a lot of abuse so thinking of going for that again with a new flywheel this time.

Hope it lasts suprapod.

• 2 weeks later...

hi there mark.

sorry was supposed to write up about the southbend. now i got the clutch really quick and it was a complete kit. the centre bearing, clutch plate, pressure plate, adjusting tool. driving wise it is very sensible. the clutch isnt heavy and drives like stock, just a tiny bit harder but to most you big guys its un-noticeable.

now i ran it in properly, did some long journeys before going to the pod. i noticed that before my gearbox which has a metal short shifter would get very warm after driving for an hour or so. since i have had this clutch my gear stick doesnt get nowhere near as hot

anymore so i guess it dispenses heat rather well. now im going to be honest. 4 x 5-10second burnouts - 3 burnouts at the pod and over 20 runs and my biting point is literally the same as when i put the clutch in and feels superb to drive. its a great piece of kit but how long it actually lasts i cant say because its my first experience however Darryll (homer) said that the older guys like himself have had these clutches in their cars for a very long time.

id give it 10/10 so far. easy to fit, great customer service, its actually cheaper than the centre force, drives like stock. call the guy at southbend and he will best advise you on the clutch you specifically need.

http://www.southbendclutch.com/

i went for the:- OFE series stage 3 rated 660hp & 750 torque ft. lbs. $665